Vision Board 101: The Greatest Form of Manifestation

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

At the beginning of every year, we all establish our own personal goals in hopes that fulfilling them will bring us a few steps closer to where and who we want to become. New Year’s resolutions have been a popular trend for decades and have now caught on in the form of vision boards. 

A vision board is exactly what it sounds like; a visual, hard copy of everything you want to achieve in your new year. Over the past year, this tool for manifestation has become super popular within the world of the trendy millennial. So, what’s all the hype about? Does this tool really work? How exactly do you start your own vision board? These tips and ideas will answer all your questions and put you on the right track:

There are NO rules: A vision board should focus on how you feel. Therefore, you’re allowed to create what you want exactly how you want it. Start off by visualizing yourself achieving all your goals and becoming the best version of you. Now take that vision and find it in the form of magazine clippings, quotes, art, etc. and that becomes the basis of your masterpiece. 

Create your list of goals: In order to visualize your goals, you must know first know what they are. Take time to get a clear understanding of your ideal year and what you need to accomplish. Write these things down on a separate sheet first. You don’t want your board to be strictly words written on paper. 

Unleash your inner creative: Play around with different color schemes for your add-ons or choose a bold poster board color. Add glitter, stickers, photos of family and friends or a souvenir from a trip or event that you would like to attend again this year. Again, this is all about YOU so make sure who you are is reflected on your board. If you’re looking for a cleaner look, try adding printed quotes and abstract photos that inspire you. 

Add words of affirmation: You never want your vision to be focused solely on material things. Making sure your desired feelings are clearly reflected is the most important aspect of your vision. Remember, this board is all about you and your emotional being is apart of you. Place your favorite word in the middle of your board in large letters so that it stands out to you the most. 

Bringing your board together: There is no specific way to bring your board to life. You can have it set up in a collage format or be more modest and have lots of space. Whatever it takes to keep you inspired! Feel free to add a title, your picture and name and 2020 in big, colorful letters. 

How to use your dream board: Now that your masterpiece is complete, let it motivate you. Hang your board up high and make sure you take a look at it every day as a reminder of what your yearly objective is. This is why the decorating process is super important! The human eye is attracted to colors and a bland board won’t keep you excited. 

Vision boards are a simple yet effective way to plan out your new year. It helps you visualize what you want and becomes a fun art project. Use these tips and tricks to help you create your board and bring your 2020 to life. 

T J

Hampton U '23

TJ discovered her love for the writing at a young age after teaching herself to read by age five. Her writing journey started off by writing short stories for school competitions and developed into writing fan fiction in middle and high school for her friends to read. TJ is currently expanded her freelance portfolio and focus on topics related to entertainment, lifestyle and culture.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.