neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Valentine’s Day…It’s Back! By Kenya Baker

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The day dedicated to love can make you feel things you weren’t even sure were there. Valentine’s Day isn’t just reserved for lovers or those in a relationship its for everyone. It’s not all about having a significant other or receiving a gift from them, it’s about the appreciation of love. The guy you’ve been eyeing in class or held the door for you at the Café isn’t going to magically notice you on this day.  That text you were going to send to your ex-boyfriend or flings don’t bother, you don’t really miss them.

If you don’t have a Valentine that’s totally okay, you’re still young. Plus you’re never too old for your parents to be your valentine if it’s that important to you. Valentine’s Day just so happens to land on Friday this year which means you can stay out till whenever or celebrate the whole weekend. Here are some dos and don’ts for Valentine’s Day:

1. Don’t be the third wheel. No matter how convincing your roommate sounds about her boo not minding you coming along on her date, do not go! Her boo will very much mind, probably resent you after and it’ll be awkward.

2. Do treat yourself. A mani or pedi wouldn’t hurt neither would a little retail therapy. Pastels are in for the spring, the necklace you’ve been plotting on is finally on sale and that MAC lipstick would look beautiful on you. Just don’t overspend after all it’s a treat.

3.  Don’t entertain conversations about your crush. All those questions and your lack of answers do not make a good combination. You’ll end up driving yourself crazy with scenarios filled with could’ve, should’ve and would’ve.

4. Do something relaxing.  Blast that Beyoncé for the millionth time and sing your heart out.  Catch up on your favorite television series or watch your favorite movies. Pick up a good book or magazine, reading is a fundamental. A nap sounds lovely too.

5. Don’t be a bitter Betty. No one wants to hear how much you hate Valentines Day or how overrated you think love is. If you’re getting over an ex or relationship its not fair to take it out on everyone else. Your one little remark can ruin someone’s day and that’s not cool.

6. Do something thoughtful and have fun. Give your parents a call, they miss you and you miss them. Finally return that face time call or Skype from friends back home. Have a slumber party with some friends, there’s tons of gossip, make up and hair tips to go around. You guys can even go bowling or see a movie.