Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Valentines Day 2020 Hub Hero?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media

Valentine’s Day: Best Friend Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

It’s that time of year again! Everyone is putting on pink and red, taping hearts up on the wall, and taking their special someone out on dates and romantic evenings to celebrate Valentine’s Day.

Not me though. And let me just say that is OKAY! Valentine’s Day can be celebrated with family, friends, coworkers, and even pets. It’s about making sure your loved ones know they are, well, loved.

However, I didn’t want to spend this Valentine’s Day rewatching the entire Twilight Saga in my room (again). Instead, I’m planning to make this year’s Valentine’s Day the best (COVID-19 friendly) one yet. 

Here are some of my suggestions for making this day of love perfect for your besties!

An excellent and common idea is to go out to dinner. Either dress up and stunt on the world together at the dinner table or get your favorite takeout meal and eat in the car together! I know food is the fastest way to my heart, LOL.

One COVID-19 friendly option is ordering food and eating over Zoom! It’s safe for everyone while also giving the option to watch movies and shows together, catch up, and even open cards you all sent to each other for Valentine’s Day. Another safe option is to have a Teleparty (originally Netflix Party). It works for Netflix, Disney+, and other streaming services. All you have to do is send out a code to everyone joining and watch the movie together. I just sounded like an ad, but this is not sponsored!

One super creative activity that I love doing is making your own gift baskets or paintings. It’s a special touch, the cherry on top of simply letting your besties know that they’re appreciated. For me, I’m painting a box for my auntie and making small goodie bags for my friends (surprise!). 

Don’t forget that Valentine’s Day can also be relaxing! One idea is taking your friend group out to get their nails or hair done, and doing some shopping on top of that. If there’s one thing I love, it’s taking care of myself while taking care of others.

Although these are just a few ideas, there are so many possibilities to show your loved ones that you care! In true Valentine’s Day fashion, I want to say thank you to those who constantly read my articles (shout out to Uncle Tommy and my family). I love you all! Have an amazing Valentine’s Day, and stay safe.

Eden Jones is a first-year psychology major from Washington, DC. After college, Eden plans to go to graduate school and receive her Master's in Psychology. At Hampton, she is a member of the Her Campus Twitter team, and is also a member of the executive board of College Girls; where she serves as the Bonding Events Coordinator. In her free time, Eden enjoys making flyers for her clubs, watching new shows and movies with her family, and getting to know other Hamptonians virtually.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.