This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

20 year old Bay area songstress, Kehlani Parrish is stealing the hearts of listeners across the globe. From her hit single “You Should Be Here” to her sultry R&B vocals with Chicago’s Chance the Rapper, her talent is truly original. The gifted young artist uses her music to empower young girls like herself and her growing fan base known as “Tsunami Mob.”

Born with a unique blend of African American, Native American, Filipino, and Spanish descent, Kehlani gives the truth about her life, her passions, and her struggles throughout her songs.  With a voice that’s refreshingly old school and lyrics about self-love, happiness, and anti-materialism, it’s almost hard to pass this artist up.

With her mixtape Cloud 19 which Complex Magazine named one of the best albums of 2014, she’s gotten recognition and co-signs from G-Eazy and PartyNextDoor. But she’s not done yet, with her recent release of one of her newest projects “You Should Be Here,” Kehlani’s imagination for story telling is what sets her apart.

“I’m not being [outspoken] to be different. I’m doing it because I genuinely have a message that needs to be told. I have young girls that are just like me, that have been through the same things that I have, and who need a voice.”

Make sure you join the wave and check out her new projects!

Kennedy Brooks is a Junior Strategic Communications major from Sacramento, California. She enjoys listening to music, chilling on the beach, and eating Thai food. She wants to pursue a career in Public Relations and Marketing with an emphasis in the music industry. Eventually, she hopes to travel the world and embark on new journeys that come her way. A quote that she lives by is, "Consider becoming the type of energy that no matter where you go, or where you are, you always add value to the spaces and lives of those around you."
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.