Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Unpopular Opinion: Masturbation is Better Than Sex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If you’re sexually active, you know how amazing an experience it can be for you and your partner. Sex can be intimate and magical like sparks are flying around you, like you’re floating on a bliss that fills every cell in your body with an unmatched high, but it can also be terrible. So bad to where you’re counting down the minutes until you can dress yourself with dignity and walk out of the hell hole you placed yourself in. Most times, I don’t have the energy to be disappointed in the people I choose to lay with and I feel that masturbation is the absolute best way to be in touch with myself. My unpopular opinion is that masturbation is better than sex. 

Masturbation is very common amongst most people, and aside from assured pleasure, it’s a huge stress reliever. After a long day what better way to wind down? In my eyes, it’s the best form of self-gratification. It boosts your confidence and clears your head so you don’t make any regretful in-the-moment decisions (most of us have) that you’ll hate in the morning.

Trust, I understand that the caress of someone’s skin directly on yours is intense and even the mere thought can be so stimulating that it sends goosebumps down your spine but, nothing beats knowing you’ll rest your head at night satisfied. It leaves me feeling confident, sexy, and independent knowing that there’s no way I could ever regret choosing myself. Also, taking the time to learn what pleases me makes it easier to guide my partner in my own right direction. Leaving less room for any sexual “let-downs.” Another plus is that there’s no such thing as a walk of shame when you’re waking up alone and refreshed in your own sheets.

The list goes on and on as to why I become so elated about the idea of self pleasure. If you take nothing else from this piece, I hope you choose to set aside some time to get to know yourself better and be transparent about your body and sexuality. There’s liberation in sexual independence that everyone deserves to enjoy.

Her Campus Contributor Account