Wellness > Sex + Relationships

Understanding Sexual Health Education in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

College is the time where you experience some of the best years of your life. Where you learn how to become an adult, manage relationships, establish strong finances, and most importantly, regulate your personal health. Your mind, spirit and body health should all be taken care of. In college, you form different kinds of relationships; those that are friendly, loving, and sexual. No matter what kind of relationship it is, it should be healthy.

Sexual health is a topic a lot of parents do not discuss with us before we go off to college and we end up having to learn from our peers, the internet, or a personal learning experience. Students get to college and get into these relationships and fail to be sexually healthy. Lack of communication with partners about sexual health, not knowing the symptoms when something is not right with genital areas, and also lack of knowledge of where to go to get contraceptives and guidance can lead to one not being in a healthy sexual relationship.

Communication About Sexual Health with Your Partner

The first time having sex with someone is already a nerve wrecking moment, and even worse when you have to worry about the sex and making sure you are protected. Keeping in mind your partner’s past sexual history is important as well as having the conversation about protection and other contraceptives to ensure a healthy sexual relationship. It is better to have a conversation about condoms than a conversation that starts with, “I have a STD” or “Who’s going to take care of the baby?” So, where does the conversation start? Start the conversation with your partner by discussing the importance of using various contraceptives such as male and female condoms, birth control, dental dams, etc. and the seriousness behind getting checked often when sexually active.

Knowing the Signs

So, what if the conversation does not happen before “it” happens? A College is a place with people that are walking around with STDs and having no knowledge of it. Not properly using protection could possibly make you the next person walking around with an STD. If you know you’ve had, or are having unprotected sex, pay attention to any slight changes in your body whether it is a bump, different smell, or slight uncomfortableness. The most 3 most common STDs on college campuses are Human Papillomavirus (HPV), chlamydia, and herpes. HPV symptoms include warts appearing on the genitals or surrounding skin and itching. Chlamydia is a disease that has symptoms which are harder to detect, but they may include genital pain, foul-smelling discharge, and vaginal bleeding. Herpes is more of a recurring flare-up of genital sores. Symptoms include pain and itching around the genital area. Keep in mind symptoms may vary from person to person but when you notice a change in your body, be sure to get checked.

Check Up On It

There are plenty of affordable places to go to in the surrounding area to get checked and receive free contraceptives to ensure sexual safety at all times.

Hampton University Health Center- Located on Hampton University’s Campus

Must have a current validated student ID

Hours: 8am-5pm

Phone number: (757)-727-5315

Hampton Health Center- Victoria Center

Address: 3130 Victoria Blvd, Hampton, Virginia 23661

Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-4:30pm Closed on the Weekends

Phone number: (757)- 727-1172

Planned Parenthood- Hampton Health Center

Address: 403 Yale Dr, Hampton, Virginia 23666

Hours: Mon- 10am-6pm Thurs- 9am-5pm Fri- 8am-4pm Other days- closed

These are just a few clinics in the surrounding area. However, there are many more so there are no excuses for why one should not get checked. Talking with your partner and communicating the importance of having a healthy sexual relationship is fundamental to maintaining good health standing. Be sure to take care of yourself first, communicate, and always use protection!

Mia is funny, creative, and caring. She is a Junior Marketing Major at Hampton University from Charlotte, North Carolina. One of her favorite things to do is eat, eat, eat. Little girl big girl appetite. She also enjoys watching all the ratchet and drama filled "reality" shows. Mia enjoys being surrounded by friends and family. She is a great listener and advice giver. She lives by the motto what is for you will be for you, and that God always has a plan for you no matter how down and out you may be, so trust in him and the purpose he has laid out for you. "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11