TravelHER: First Impressions of Spain

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Only 3 days have passed since beginning my study abroad journey. Culture shock is an understatement when arriving to your new country. As a Spanish minor, I chose a Spanish speaking country to perfect my Spanish speaking skills. My greatest challenge since arriving is the language barrier. My house mom only speaks Spanish. The first day was so challenging because I wasn’t confident in my Spanish skills— but the more she speaks, the more I’m comfortable speaking. 

Another challenge is fighting homesickness. My first night here was worst than the first night I spent in a dorm on Hampton’s campus. I could only imagine how international students feels. I consider myself an independent person, but it’s the fear of the unknown that rattles my soul. I tossed and turned all night. I just couldn’t get comfortable, despite my excitement to leave and venture out. So far I haven’t had one full night’s rest. Plus, jet lag did not help the situation. 

Overall everyday is an adventure. Trying new tapas, which is a common Spanish style meal served on small plates, has been exciting. Sangria has been a staple to compliment my meals —and all those cliches about an open mind and patience have been the simplest reminders to stay present. Adjusting to a new country is the most exciting, anxious-filled transition, but being present and mindful lowers that anxiety.  

Hearing those cliches, at first seems somewhat basic to hear initially, but study abroad is that simple. Staying open to new ideas and breaking what is normal to your routine is what the experience is about.

Tierra Mack

Hampton U '21

My name is Tierra Mack. A third year political science major, Spanish minor from Atlanta, Georgia. I have a passion for educational equity and reproductive justice. Joining HerCampus has allowed me to stay creative and and perfect my blogging and curating skills.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!