Culture > News

Topic of Discussion on Prop. 22 in Your Voting Ballot: Protecting Workers from Uber and Doordash

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

This is probably one of the biggest elections in the last 10 years. For the past 4 years, there has been an immense outpour of separation of the population and more outspoken youth than we’ve ever seen since the Civil Rights Movement. This is an amazing time to be of age and be able to get all the information you want. As well as be able to have some impact on how you want to change the communities to make a better future. So, whether it comes to the election of the presidency, governor, or even mayor you have to understand that your voice and opinion matters because in the end you will be affected in one way or another. 

The main topic of discussion this coming election day is the presidential election, and yes this is most important because it can radically change the course of our future. However, when we are talking locally many propositions are up to be voted yes or no by the people. These propositions can range from giving more taxes to local libraries, to even oppositions on defunding the police. Either way, they can have a huge effect on the people of your town and city. 

One that a lot of people don’t realize is on the California ballot is Prop.22. This exempts app-based transportation and delivery companies from providing employee benefits to certain drivers. This means that within the state of California they are challenging large driving-based companies like Lyft, Uber, and Postmates to give employee benefits. This would include insurance for those who work “at least 25 hours per week require companies to provide healthcare subsidies equal to 82% the average California Covered (CC) premium for each month” (BallotPedia.org). Yet, it would also “limit app-based drivers from working more than 12 hours during 24 hours unless the driver has been logged off for an uninterrupted 6 hours”. This can have a dramatic change in the way many workers utilize their time with possibly working multiple jobs. As of now, anyone who works as a driver is considered an “independent contractor” meaning they get no health or car insurance. They are in no way protected if they work too long of hours or get into an accident. By changing this you open the floor of these companies to taking more responsibility for their employees and treating them better. 

Although this is a proposition available only in California, if passed and companies give their drivers benefits, this can have a domino effect on other states. Especially in a state like California that is so densely populated, it would make a giant first leap in the whole process. This would affect a lot of young people between the ages of 18-24 who may be in college trying to have a side hustle or need the extra cash. Either way, you can be affected in the future. You will earn a real second job that requires a minimum number of hours and information that you may not want to share. There are many pros and cons to this proposition, but the only way of understanding what might be best is to do your research and understand how this can affect you. 

So, understand and look out for these propositions that may be available on your ballot. As well as news like this that affect larger states, because if passed they can be passed along into your state too. Either way, you are making your voice heard and giving your opinion on how to improve the world around. Do your research and happy voting!

Nia Tate

Hampton U '23

Hi, girlies! My name is Nia Tate and I am a Graduating Senior Health Sciences Major and Sociology from Seattle, Washington. I aspire to work at a non-profit organization that works towards equity in the health care system. A lot of my hobbies include yoga/meditation, kickboxing, trips to the lake, and upcycling old clothes into creating something new. I also aspire to travel the world and experience all different types of cultures and fashion. Some of my dream destinations I hope to visit include Japan, Brazil, and Greece!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!