This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

If one of your New Year’s resolutions is to get out more, then you’re in luck! The movie theatre is the perfect place to go, especially considering all the Black films that are expected to hit the big screen in 2020. Here are the ones you should mark on your calendar because trust me, you don’t want to miss them! 

1. RESPECT

Award-winning actress and singer Jennifer Hudson is expected to bless us with her role as the Queen of Soul herself—Aretha Franklin. This movie will give us a look inside the life of Franklin and her rise to fame. Franklin hand-picked Hudson for the role and I think it’s safe to say she made the right choice. Go ahead and get your vocals ready because this one will be impossible to not sing along to! 

2. COMING 2 AMERICA 

Did we expect this? No. Are we here for it? Absolutely. 

Prince Akeem is back and better than ever in the comeback of the classic Coming to America, which made its debut in 1988. As if this news isn’t good enough, the entire cast came back together to be in the film! We love loyalty. If you’re looking for a laugh, this is the movie for you, but I highly suggest watching the first one before buying a ticket. I don’t know about you, but I’m excited to see how this classic will be spun to leave its second mark!

3. THE PHOTOGRAPH

2020 just wouldn’t be right without a wholesome, Black love story. “The Photograph” is a breath of fresh air with its heartwarming plot (and lack of fight scenes with crazy exes). Issa Rae is playing the female protagonist, while LaKeith Stanfield is playing her male counterpart. 

Not only is this movie about finding love, but it’s also about taking risks, trusting yourself, and seeking closure. We stan. If you’re a hopeless romantic like myself, this is the perfect movie for you. Oh, and don’t forget to bring your tissues. I know I’ll be needing them!

These incredible Black films are deserving of ALL our support! Grab your boo, best friend, family member, or yourself (because we’re all we need, am I right?) and hit the movies all 2020. I’ll see you there!

My name is Lauren Grayson and I am a Journalism major, Marketing minor from Charlotte, NC! I am currently a Senior at Hampton University with a passion for writing, creativity, and self-expression.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.