mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
mario calvo S mEIfXRzIk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Top 10 #BlackGirlMagic Moments of the Decade

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

1. “Becoming” Michelle Obama

During its first week on the market, “Becoming” sold over 1.4 million copies. This book is full of lessons and inspiring anecdotes. Aside from releasing the best selling memoir in history, Michelle Obama has continued to be #Goals since her husband’s political campaign and officially becoming First Lady in 2008.

2. Beyoncé​

That’s it! That’s the post! From Homecoming to Lion King (to literally everything else) it’s safe to say this post would go for miles if we talked about each and every time Beyoncé​ gave us #BlackGirlMagic this past decade. As the first black woman to headline Coachella she did more than perform, she brought the spirit and magic of HBCUs to life. The performance. The album. The documentary! It was all a gift to the underrated and unappreciated culture of HBCUs. We’re forever grateful for that.

3. Fenty Beauty

Rihanna most certainly did not come to play. She changed the game and raised the standard of makeup with her launch of Fenty Beauty. She’s been iconic in fashion, beauty, and music throughout the decade. When are we ever not rooting for her? 

4. Simone Biles

This year Simone became the world’s most decorated gymnast in championship history. At only 22 years old she has accomplished so much. Her confidence is inspiring to the competitor in all of us. 

5. Jada Pinkett’s Red Table Talk

Jada could not have returned to the spotlight in a more perfect way. Every episode has a different message that speaks to someone’s heart. Not only is the show something to learn from but it also encourages us to talk about mental health in an judgement-free setting. A show solely about being open, honest, and real is exactly what we, as black women, needed.

6. Keke Palmer on Broadway

Keke Palmer made history in 2014 by becoming the youngest talk show host ever and she was also the first African American Cinderella on Broadway. Her unapologetic and upbeat personality steals our hearts. She has always used her platform to give a voice to and encourage black women. 

7. Kerry Washington & Viola Davis 

Can you say boss black women? These ladies both took over TV this year. With Scandal & How To Get Away With Murder we finally got to see black women in positions of power. Their magic on screen (individually and together) was rewarding. It was the definition of #BlackGirlMagic. 

8. Ava DuVernay 

Ava was the first African-American female director to receive a Golden Globe nomination and to have a film nominated for a Best Picture Oscar (this was for her film Selma in 2014). Since then, she’s told stories in the most profound way and her craft only improves. As a black woman in an industry ruled by white men she surpasses all expectations. Her bold storytelling gives a voice to those who are often silenced. 

9. Ursula Burns 

According to her feature in Forbes Top 50 Women in Tech, Burns is the first African-American woman to lead an S&P 500 company. She represents all of our STEM girls as a founding member of Change the Equation, a CEO-led non-profit program to boost STEM education, launched by the Obama administration. 

10. Lori Lightfoot 

Lightfoot is the first African-American woman and first openly gay mayor of Chicago. At the University of Michigan she paid her own way through loans and work-study jobs, and moved on to University of Chicago law school. Her perseverance as a black and gay woman in politics speaks to the spirit of dedication and resilience that lives in all black women.

Andi McCloud

Hampton U '20

I'm so excited to write for and with my HerCampus HamptonU Chapter.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!