This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As black women, we know that not every product in the store is for us. Some products just don’t work on our beautiful melanated skin and gorgeous curly hair. As an Ulta regular, I can help you decide what to buy during your next visit and what to steer clear of. I promise that the products won’t break your pockets either. 

First on the list is Colurpop’s tinted moisturizer. As a black woman, I know it can be hard to find shades of brown that don’t make our skin look ashy. With Colourpop’s tinted moisturizer, there are 24 shades that all come in sleek packaging. The tinted moisturizer comes with a pump so you won’t have to pour it onto the back of your hand. It has pretty decent coverage while staying lightweight and also moisturizing the skin. This product costs $14. 

Next on the list is another Colourpop favorite: the Blush Stix. The Blush Stix come in so many shades. Black women come in multiple shades, so having a wide variety of colors to choose from is vital for our community. The blush stix are cream blushes that you can roll onto your face then seamlessly blend with the rest of your makeup. The Blush Stix cost $8. 

Black girls know all too well the pain of buying a new eye shadow palette, trying it out, and the colors not showing up on our eyelids. We usually have to put a white base on our lids just to receive the same amount of pigment as people with a lighter complexion. With Juvia’s Place, you won’t have that problem. Juvia’s place is a black-owned makeup company that has a wide variety of eyeshadow palettes. One of their taglines is “The World’s Most Pigmented Shades.” They also have an African theme and sport black women on the cover of each of their beautiful palettes. One palette is, on average, $20. 

Another Juvia’s Place must-have is concealer. Coming in 24 shades, they’re perfect for any black girl’s make up stash. They are very similar to the famous Tarte Concealers but are on sale for a fraction of the cost. These concealers are weightless, sweatproof, and last 24 hours. Also, let’s not forget that the CEO of this company is a black woman! The price of this product is $14.  

All black girls know the struggle of setting powder—that fear of finishing your makeup, looking in the mirror, and seeing a ghost. Well, Bad Radiance has answered our prayers! Bad Radiance’s True Complexion collection has a loose setting powder that is perfect for highlighting and setting makeup without giving you a ghostly cast. The True Complexion collection also has a range of colors, so you’re not stuck with the super white powder that most brands only carry.  The lowest price for this product is $6.87 at Walmart. 

Honorable Mention: Fit Me Matte and Poreless Foundation. This foundation gives you full coverage and has one of the best shade ranges on the market. It blends into your skin perfectly and retails at only $5.34. 

Vashti Dorman

Hampton U '22

Vashti Dorman is a junior Journalism major studying at Hampton University from Dallas, Texas.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!