Toni Morrison and The Importance of Black Novelist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Okay ya’ll, being that Black History Month is coming to an end, I have something to share. As some of us may know, there are many African Americans that contribute to the legacy of being unapologetically black. So, since I am writing articles every week and hoping people read them, why not speak on the legacy of Toni Morrison. Did you know Toni Morrison is a Nobel Prize and Pulitzer Prize-winning novelist, editor, and professor?? What better way to celebrate writing than to write about a successful African American woman who has accomplished so much.

Toni Morrison is an accredited author mostly known for her writing that examines the black female experience within the black community. Two of her books, Bluest Eyes, and Beloved, which became wildly popular, are both based on the present and past life of a black woman. Her use of fantasy, poetic style, and POV is what creates a fascination for her readers. Toni Morrison like many other black female writers is important to literature because of how much they can relate to their black audience. Now, we know how much we like to relate to many things in life.

Even though many young people now might say that her books are quite sad, and depressing, her writing will definitely be memorable. For many aspiring writers, she is someone to be inspired by, someone to look up to. Black literature is very important within the black household because of the connections and the bonds it brings forth. As we continue to celebrate Black History Month, let’s also celebrate the fact that she turned 88 last Monday as well. Black excellence continues to live on. Hoping you all got this far in my article, here is a Toni Morrison quote that we can all relate to. Until next time….

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com