Tips for Studying

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.
  1. Read before class. Not too in depth, just skimming, so you have general knowledge and you don’t waste time on stuff the professor doesn’t care about.

2. From your first reading, make little questions you can ask in class if the subject is brought up. This forces you to listen in class, because you’re looking out for something.

3. Record your lectures if you can. I find this takes off pressure from trying to take notes, because you know if you don’t understand, you can go back and listen. So instead of stressing over getting notes down you get to actually listen and jot down the more important points.

4. GO TO CLASS. That one is simple lol. When you’re in class, remember how much money you’re paying to be there. You shouldn’t be paying to sit on Twitter or Snapchat.

5. After class, review. If you review within 24 hours, you will retain information. It doesn’t have to be hardcore, but you can go back and reread something the professor really emphasized.

6. Don’t overwork yourself. If I’m reading and I feel I’m tired or not really getting it. I’m done studying for a little bit. I’ll either go to the gym, make food, or maybe just try again tomorrow, which I can do, because I………….

7. Do a little bit every day! If I’m too tired I know I still have time, because I’ll do some more work tomorrow or I did a lot the day before. The more you’re reviewing material, the more it’s going to stick and you won’t have to cram or stress over and exam.

8. Quiz yourself. You can make your own questions, use quizlets, or even the questions in the book. Start thinking of how material will be quizzed on an exam.

9. Relate the information to stuff you already know. Things make sense when you can see how it can be applied or if you can break it down to smaller pieces.

10. Try to teach someone else. This is my favorite one. If I can teach someone something, I know I have the topic down. I can literally be out doing nothing with my mom and be like “Hey, let me tell you about (insert topic here).” Again you’re being exposed to the material again AND you’re putting it into your own words, so it’s gonna be a lot easier to remember.

11. PLANNERS ARE BIBLES. If you can have a study schedule and make out how you want to get things done, it’s a lot easier to have a routine. Plus, it feels nice to check things off when you finish. It also helps you set your priorities.

12. Use alternative ways to map your learning. For one class, you might find charts are really helpful. Maybe it helps you to make little raps or make something into a song. You can make up mnemonics. Any way to make something into your own is going to make material stick and condense.

I probably do more or less than this depending on the class, but these are my main tips! Also, give yourself time to relax, go out, be with family, etc. You deserve it.

Kierra Cole

Hampton U '19

22. Hampton U. Senior