This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we head into the colder months, protecting your natural hair is a necessity. The cold air can cause your hair to become brittle, dry and itchy. With these 5 simple tips, your hair will continue to flourish in fall.

1. Moisturizing is a must! As our hair gets drier, it can have the potential to become dry and fall out. By moisturizing with creams and leave in conditioners, you’re helping your hair to stay healthy year round. There are different moisturizers for different curl patterns so it’s important that you find the one that caters to you. 

2. Next, oil is your best friend. Oiling your scalp is super important.After moisturizing, oil your scalp so that your hair can continue to grow. Oils such as argon oil, castor oil and rosemary oil are very important. Besides aiding in hair growth, oils such as argon oil can help to lock in the moisturizer in your hair. This is 100% a necessity because you want the cream moisturizer to stay in your hair to help your hair become healthier. 

3. Another important tip is to try protective styles. These styles protect your hair from the harsh elements. Styles from box and knotless braids to cornrows and even wigs are fun and creative styles that can protect your hair year round.

4. Take biotin pills. Biotin is a vitamin that is specifically tailored to aid in hair and nail growth. This will continue to help your hair grow and flourish. It will also help to make sure it’s healthy. There are foods that have a high biotin concentration if you don’t want to take the pill. 

5. Last and most importantly, look at the products you’re putting into your hair. Just because something might be catered to you doesn’t make it good. Certain ingredients can dry your hair and strip it of its natural moisture. Stay away from products that are heavily scented. These strong flowery fragrances are often used to mask harsh chemicals. 

As the seasons change and it gets colder, make sure to use these tips to help your hair continue to flourish. Your hair is your crown so take care of it!

Gabrielle Chenault is a senior journalism major with a concentration in political science from Queens, New York. She is a member of the cross country and track team. She also is the Lifestyle section editor of The Hampton Script, the parliamentarian of North P.A.C and a resident assistant. In her free time, Gabrielle loves to listen to music, travel and try new food from around the world.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!