Tips for Adjusting to College as a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

1. Make friends!

I’m sure you know that college is about building relationships and friendships. Take the time now to build those friendships now before people get set into their cliques. Of course, these may change but the beginning of the year as a freshman is the perfect time to bud new friendships. You can make lifetime friends in college. And honestly, having friends who are in the same boat as you will make things less stressful.

2.  Know your professor.

Don’t be afraid to engage in class, ask questions and go to their office hours. Honestly, professors like it when students show enthusiasm and concern about their grade. Needless to say, getting to know your professor is likely to have a positive impact on your grade at the end of the semester. As a freshman, get off to a good start by establishing this habit. Also, your professors can write you letters of recommendation when you begin to apply for grad school.

3. Get involved in clubs and organization.

This is huge and something that I truly wish I would have done. By joining a club, you become involved with people who have similar interests as you. Also, the experience you get from being in a club will look great on your resume.

4. Consider what you want out of your college career.

We all go to college for essentially the same reason; we want to higher our education. But we must also dig deeper and know what that will translate into when we graduate and are off into the “real world”. College is a great time to mature mentally and spiritually. It is also a perfect opportunity to “reinvent yourself”. Naturally, you will learn personal lessons that will change you but being intentional about your change keeps you proactive. And by knowing what your ultimate vision is for your college career, you decrease the chances of wasting time because you know what you are in school for. 5. Find ways to relax and have fun.

Don’t ever feel like life is all work and no play! Your brain needs fun, excitement and happiness. So after you have studied, wrote papers, and have been in lectures for 5 hours straight, you need something that can help your brain unwind. It could be something small like drinking a cup of tea, listening to your favorite album or doing yoga. You can go out to eat or to the movies with your friends. Just make sure that you ENJOY your experience as a college student. College is supposed to be fun. Just don’t let your grades slip!

Her Campus Contributor Account 
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.