This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We all know Hampton is no big city. Our HBCU lies in a small town in coastal Virginia, and when it comes to having fun, we often have to make our own. Although, most times that ends up as a good experience, here are some ways you can spice up your fall season by staying in or heading out and seeing what Hampton has to offer!

1. Hampton Horror Tours

Yes, you read that right. This tour, hosted by the Hampton History Museum, features the spooky side of Hampton history you may have never heard of. Lasting only an hour long, you’ll be able to see actors portray gruesome ghosts, pirates, witches, and more. It even features a lantern-lit tour through St. John’s Church Graveyard and other points down Queen Street. Check this out if you’re ready to send chills to your bones! This event goes on nightly between October 21st through the 25th from 6:30-8:00pm.

2. Historic Phoebus Fall Festival 

Growing up, fall festivals gave me an opportunity to get in touch with my community, my peers, and all that they have to offer. This festival is giving us just that. This outdoor festival is set to have arts and crafts exhibits, live music, food trucks, cool drinks, and more. This event will take place October 12th, 2019 from 10am-6pm.

3. Cinema Cafe

Did you know you can watch the brand new released movie, “Gemini Man” for only $5? You could also watch, “The Joker”, “Hustlas”, and many more brand new feature films at the Cinema Cafe. Located near Mercury Boulevard, this gem of a movie theatre has daily tickets Monday through Thursday for only $5 at any time. So if you’re looking for a reason to take a study break and save your pockets some coins, try this movie theatre as your new home for cheap movies.

4. Disney On Ice

“Disney On Ice presents Road trip Adventures”, is coming to Hampton this October! This ice skating performance takes you on a journey to many of your favorite disney destinations without you having to move an inch! Featuring some of our favorite Disney characters like Mickey and Minnie Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy, Moana, Mary Popppins, and many more. This show starts on October 30th and wraps up on November 3rd with shows lasting from 7-9pm. To top this all off, tickets are starting at only $20! This is a must do for all my Hampton Disney fans.

5. Virginia Air and Space Center

Although many of us have been in Hampton for a while, an overlooked fun thing to visit is the Virginia Air and Space Center located within walking distance from our campus. It’s the big white building (you can see it from McGrew Towers) placed right in the heart of downtown Hampton. This museum is full of interesting and interactive space history exhibits and also cool artifacts from Apollo 11. The museum also features IMAX movies, space related ofcourse. Tickets are usually $20 but the student discount brings it down to $16.50. This is a great way to spend a rainy day.

6. Pumpkin Carving

Pumpkin Carving is perfect for a few friends who want to stay in and enjoy some fall festivities. You could make it an all day thing by going to a local pumpkin patch and picking our your own and then carving the one you hand picked (or you could go to walmart). If you’re not into all the mess of pumpkin seeds and insides, you could make it a pumpkin decorating party to add some fall flavor to your living space. You could pair this with baking cookies or pie, and even sharing a glass of warm cider to heat up after being in the cold. 

These are just a few things to do in October while in Hampton. Whether you’re on a budget or just plain bored, getting to know the city we live in is something we should all take time to do. Happy October!

Her Campus Contributor Account 
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!