The Rise of CoCo Jones & Why She Deserves Her Flowers

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Coco Jones’ inspiring drive for success and warming personality has gained the hearts of many.  Courtney “Coco” Jones was born on January 4, 1998, in Columbia, South Carolina, but raised in Lebanon, Tennessee, a small town near Nashville. Her father, Mike Jones, a former NFL player and mother, Javonda Jones, a vocalist taught her resilience and ambition early. As many may know Jones is no stranger to stardom, however, her recent success has left a few guessing where it all started. 

With Jones’ undeniable talent she set forth her journey as a musician and just at the age of nine she began recording music. However, the young singer did not stop there; Jones’ YouTube video of her singing “The Star Spangled Banner ” caught the eye of Disney, where her career would soon take off. Jones would be invited to appear on the third season of Radio Disney’s Next Big Thing, where she was runner-up. She also starred in Disney Channel shows such as “So Random” and “Good Luck Charlie”. Her leading role would be playing Roxie on the Disney Channel Original “Let it Shine”. This role led her to get a record deal with Hollywood Records where she would produce and release her hit “Holla at the DJ”. Although Jones’ career began to take off she was hit with unfortunate circumstances. 

After many failed Disney projects, Jones began solely working on her music career, however, the label did not market her as she imagined and was unfortunately soon dropped from her contract with Hollywood Records record label. This left Jones feeling doubtful as she did not know the future of her career. She opened up on a YouTube live about the traumatizing feeling of her dreams falling through and the prejudices she felt as a dark skin young woman in the industry. The young actress faced many burdens but did not let them deter her from her dreams. Jones continued to make music and started to utilize social media platforms such as YouTube and Tiktok to post singing videos to draw in viewers. 

After years of making music Coco Jones recently blew up on Tiktok with her remixing of SZA’s single “Hit Different”. The single caught the attention of many. She would eventually be brought onto a popular YouTube show “The TERELL Show” which would lead to their joint YouTube cooking series “T and CoCo” to transpire.  Coco has been on top of her game and it does not stop there. In 2020 she landed the role of Hilary Banks” in Bel-Air, Peacock’s reboot of the “Fresh Prince of Bel-Air”. In March of 2022 she was signed to the label Def Jam followed by her debut release “Caliber” Coco Jones is the moment. She continues to release music, co-host the hit YouTube series, and prepare for season two of Bel-Air. 

Through all of the adversities the young actress and singer have endured she stayed gracious to her dream. Her story has inspired young dark skin girls yearning to be in the entertainment industry to remain resilient. With her already strong presence everyone needs to make room for her at the top as she has made her name for herself and continues to make it hard to forget. After being failed once by Hollywood, Coco Jones deserves all of the flowers coming her way and I can’t wait to see what the future holds for her.

Ahmere Harper

Hampton U '26

Ahmere Harper is a first-year Journalism major from Charlotte, North Carolina. She is a lover of all things fashion and beauty. Her goal is to pursue a career in Fashion & Entertainment Journalism. Ahmere hopes to one day to work for a renowned magazine company and create her own media company.