AHC101a 0258r?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
AHC101a 0258r?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
The CW

The Lost Files: Asking the Class of 2023 about the last real Homecoming Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Homecoming on Hampton’s campus the last two years has been sort of a letdown, two years ago it was canceled because of the seemingly never-ending Covid-19 pandemic, and last year it seemed rushed and still greatly affected by the pandemic. So, to reminisce we’ll bring back these “lost” files, and look back and ask the class of 2023: the last true class to experience a Hampton Homecoming what it was like back on Hampton’s homecoming campus in 2019.

So, here are the facts, Hampton’s 2019 Homecoming weekend was held October 20th-26th and the theme was A Different Homecoming (Revitalizing the standard of excellence) of course after the iconic 80s sitcom “A Different World.” There were the classics like the NPHC Step Show, Miss Hampton Coronation, and the Fashion Show. But there were also things you and I would’ve never expected like a Roller-Skating Party in Holland, a Concert featuring the one and only DaBaby, and a Wild N Out’ themed event called Wylin’ Out involving the student body on campus. The Hampton University Tailgate Takeover seemed truly a takeover with celebrities like Kash Doll, DJ Envy, Rotimi, and Doug E. Fresh. Not to mention how hyped the school was after that homecoming football game where the pirates beat Virginia University of Lynchburg 56-6. But since I’m on the outside looking in on this topic, I decided to ask a few students from the class of 2023, how their freshman year homecoming experience was.

First, I asked Olakunle Akande, a Graduating Senior, Business Management Major from Rahway NJ what his first Homecoming experience was, and here was his response.

Olakunle: “I was a freshman entering homecoming season at an Ivy League HBCU, not only was the hype for homecoming insane. But, the week of homecoming was fun in every way possible too, I met so many alumni that really showed their HBCU love, and the student center was packed wall to wall to even the stairs up to the 3rd floor. It was the peak of that week; it was a fun experience that we even went viral on major HBCU pages. The tailgate was truly a different world, I had never been to a tailgate in my life so I didn’t know what to expect. The entire parking lot was full, smoke in the air from every tent cooking something, I don’t even know if we won the football game but I remember eating so many burgers for free. Also, we had just gone off curfew so that was a huge plus so we were really outside. It was such a memorable experience, everyone just having fun in their own way, shape, and form, nothing truly like it as it’s expected to live up to the expectation”

Secondly, I asked Kamaria Horton, a Graduating Senior, Computer Science Major from Atlanta Georgia, her first Homecoming experience.

Kamaria: “My freshman year homecoming was like no other; the entire week felt like I was living in a movie. It was undoubtedly the most fun I had freshman year. The fashion show had to have been my favorite because I got to see people at my HBCU do what they do best, put on a fit. I loved watching my peers confidently walk down the runway and show off the black excellence Hampton prides itself so highly on. Not to mention the concert with DaBaby, and it was just as he was getting popular. It was also the first ever concert I had been to so it was an amazing experience. Of course, we found an afterparty for the concert to keep the fun going. When it came to 12-5, the Stu was flooded with people, and the courtyard was filled with food trucks. Alumni, students, and faculty all enjoyed the festivities the 12-5 had to offer. The tailgate was one of the best activities during homecoming. The Greeks had their cookout sections set up and lined up. There was a small concert/performance set up on the lawn in front of Holland. Hampton organizations had stands set up everywhere to promote themselves also. Of course, there was the hype of the football game and the amazing band performance. All in all, homecoming was just the experience I needed to kick off my first year away from home and get that HBCU to experience everyone seeks for.

There you have it, the HBCU homecoming experience before the downs of Covid-19. Listen, so what the events of homecoming this year aren’t the best of the best compared to 2019. The students make the homecoming fun not the school. Grab your friends and go to those events with a “lit” attitude and you’ll be guaranteed to have a good time! Hampton is what you make it!

Hi everyone my name is Oluwatomilayo Akintunde, but I go by (Tomi), I'm a first year kinesiology major, minoring in Spanish; and I'm from North Jersey.