The Blueprint: The Profound Impact that Black Artists Hold Within The Music Industry

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Music is one of the few things that can effortlessly connect humans together. My love for music extends beyond worlds, and I am eternally grateful for being able to experience it in its true depth and beauty. As I’ve grown into learning more about the influence of music, I have been so inspired by the icons that continue to dominate the industry. Growing up surrounded by different types of music has allowed me to understand how Black artists and the Black community continue to hold so much influence in the music industry today. 

For many, music serves as an escape, a moment of peace, and a way to further understand our experiences on a more personal level. There’s a sense of comfort in knowing that you can confide in music when words or emotions feel unexplainable. Perhaps that’s one of my favorite things music has to offer: its ability to make us feel. 

For the Black community, music has been at the forefront of so many stories we tell which describe our beauty, pain, triumphs, and greatest success stories. We are undoubtedly the blueprint, the trendsetters, and the ones who make the music we love so much, what it is today. 

I think it’s important to give recognition where it’s deserved, so let’s dive into the amazing Black artists and music that continue to bring us joy. First off, the classics, are the ones who eloquently paved the way for artists in the industry today. Here are a few that undoubtedly deserves all the praise.

Donny Hathaway, Stevie Wonder, Prince, Micheal Jackson, The Jackson 5, Aretha Franklin, Diana Ross, Marvin Gaye 

During the post-civil rights era, we began to see music of all forms being told from multiple lenses. These songs were used to motivate and connect the Black community during a time of racism, brutality, and discrimination. We hear these powerful messages through the music, for it evokes a feeling of liberation and love. 

As we transitioned into the late 80s and 90s, rap and r&b grew to become more prominent within the Black community. Artists like Tupac, Biggie, Beyonce, Usher, Aliyah, Mary J Blige, Lauryn Hill, Brandy, and so many more. These artists created this iconic era where music within the black community was celebrated and continued to flourish in some of the best ways. This era of music also welcomed many fashion trends that the Black community are the face of as well, such as Afrocentric clothing, and streetwear, which continues to dominate today. 

As my love for music continues to grow, I feel as though it’s always interesting to dig deeper into its roots and see how it has evolved into what it is today. I truly am grateful that Black musicians and artists truly serve as The Blueprint.

Zoë Rose

Hampton U '25

Zoë Rose is currently third year Journalism major with an emphasis on English & Creative Writing from Watchung, New Jersey. When she's not writing, she enjoys listening to music, spending time with friends, and doing yoga <3