TED TALK: Normalizing HBCU problems as apart of the “HBCU Experience”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

From my time here at an HBCU, I’ve noticed how when you mention an issue going on about the school, the usual response is “that’s that HBCU experience”, or “that’s at all HBCUs”, or “it wouldn’t be an HBCU if it didn’t”. Now before, it didn’t bother me because it didn’t register yet. However, it does now. Y’all might not be ready for this conversation but it’s happening.

We as a community of educated black people, should not associate anything sub-par with historically black institutions built to provide an education for us just like any other institution.

We have come to the point where we have just accepted the problems that we continue to face and deal with every day and it shouldn’t be like that. We should not be having to deal with unorganized financial aid departments, foul living arrangements, high tuition fees when most of the things that we pay for are not up-to-par and institutions that would rather focus on perfecting the school aesthetic instead of the actual students’ needs and concerns. 

We attend legendary, illustrious historically black institutions that continue today so we as blacks can receive an education with others in our community, uplifting each other and growing together to become successful …and we should be living and treated as such. 

We have to stop accepting these deficiencies and sugarcoating it as an experience. We are better than that and deserve better. Let’s end the stigma now and start expecting more from these universities and colleges. There is no reason why we shouldn’t be able to attend and receive an education in organized, up-to-date and efficient environments.

Thanks for coming to my TED Talk.

Raven Harper

Hampton U '22

Raven Harper @raejhene is a Graduating Senior at Hampton University studying Journalism and Marketing. She serves as the campus correspondent over Hampton's chapter. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking new things, iced coffee and endless scrolling on pinterest.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!