Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
Black Girl Beauty Landing Hero Image 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Her Campus Media
This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

In the three years since her debut album, ‘Ctrl,’ SZA has collaborated with several artists on new music, but none of it has been her own. The wait is now over thanks to her newest single “Hit Different,” featuring Ty Dolla $ign.

SZA has given fans another classic R&B song as she effortlessly sings over a chill and relaxed beat. The new record is produced by The Neptunes and Ty Dolla $ign provides a catchy hook to tie the song together. “Hit Different” is about the all too familiar ‘entanglement’ of keeping a toxic significant other around because it is easier and more comfortable to stay around than start fresh with someone new.

SZA’s self-directed music video opens up with her and a group of women dressed in a beautiful orange while dancing in a car junkyard. The video then cuts to different shots of the superstar surrounded by white animals as she goes back and forth between being clothed in white and covered in what appears to be blood. In an Instagram post about the video SZA stated that the blood represented “rebirth, entropy, beauty, chaos, and divine feminine.” Ty Dolla $ign also makes an appearance at the end as SZA and the dancers perform Qi gong – a form of moving meditation. These details come together to create a work of art.

Although it has not been announced if this is the beginning of a new project, SZA released a snippet of another song after the release of “Hit Different.” Hopefully fans can expect much more from the queen of pouring the feminine experience into a song.

I am Calyx Stover! A junior journalism major from Boiling Springs, South Carolina attending Hampton University. I love a good girl gang and HerCampus is the premier gang to join. I am excited to share my work and collaborate in the multimedia world.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!