This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Super Bowl 50 took place in Santa Clara, California Sunday evening and once again a defensive minded team took control. The Broncos came into the game against an already impressive 15-1 Carolina Panthers team who had dominated the first half of each of their two previous playoff games and looked like strong contenders to bring home their first Super Bowl win. Overall, the game was a bit overwhelming but it was  the newly named MVP, Cam Newton versus NFL veteran Peyton Manning (who in fact was looking to write the ending to his own prestigious legacy) that really stood out.  However, this matchup really wouldn’t unfold seeing as both teams ‘defenses were something to be admired and they proved that they were the real driving forces to both of teams.

Peyton Manning came into the game following an off season where he sat the bench for the first time since playing in college. Not knowing if he would have another opportunity to win a title this big was unfolded into what could very well be the legends final game on a football field. He could’ve played a little bit better but he simply did enough to keep the Broncos in good position. The defense caused a fumble and touchdown on the recovery on the first wave of the game and from there they held the Panthers to only 1 touchdown. Peyton had an opportunity to play with the lead allowing him to play conservative enough to withstand the constant pressure from the Panthers defense. Manning had 141 passing yards off of 13-23 passes along with 1 interception.

Not to take anything away from his accomplishment but, in my opinion Peyton was pretty lucky that the Panthers came out sloppy and looked as if the moment had gotten a bit too big for them. Carolina committed to uncharacteristic turnovers (caused by the Broncos immaculate Defense) and their offense which has been one of the best all season. Von Miller and Demarcus Ware put pressure on Cam the entire game, leading the Defense with 4.5 of the 7 sacks on Newton. The Broncos kicker Brandon McManus would prove to be their most important asset. McManus was responsible for 10 of the teams 24 points.

Cam Newton had just been named the NFL MVP the night before the big game for the first time, and he solidified himself into super stardom. He played a safe conservative game in Super Bowl 50 but his patience seems to have been getting the best of him as the Broncos defense constantly put him on edge. You could see his frustration as Panthers receivers dropped a number of his passes and the running backs struggled to gain any positive yards. The defense was put in a tough position most of the night but they still were able to keep the Broncos out of the end zone for most of the game. Cam over threw a few passes in the first half but he was able to bounce back in the 2nd quarter. But, every time the Panthers would gain momentum they turned the ball over. Mike Tolbert and Cam Newton fumbled twice. Numbers wise, Cam was pretty decent, 265 on 18-43 passes. He had a lot of success running the ball in the 1st half but he shied away from running in the 2nd. 

Abby Idisi

Hampton U

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.