This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

*What’s temporaryyyy me or youuuu* Artist Summer Walker is what’s hot right now. Her latest album Over It, relatable to both guys and girls makes it constantly on repeat. However, her album isn’t the only thing that’s been the topic of discussion on many platforms. Many fans have voiced their opinions on the way Summer acts during her performances and meet and greets, wondering why is she acting a certain way. Summer Walker has recently opened up about her social anxiety following her 2019 Soul Train Music Awards speech and pictures. In an Instagram video, Summer expressed her concerns about people criticizing her by questioning why she would even release music if she didn’t want to deal with the publicity that comes with it. Even Wendy Williams questioned her social anxiety, saying why would she perform in sexy outfits if she has anxiety….

Summer Walker is so over it, that she canceled the rest of her First and Last Tour dates due to her social anxiety and the harsh criticism that she keeps getting. Out of the 29 cities that she was supposed to perform in, she’s only doing nine more cities. The fans who bought tickets will be refunded for the canceled dates. Summer Walker having social anxiety has given her a platform to bring awareness to this. Summer isn’t letting the criticism get to her because she’s already explained that she’ll continue to make music because this is what she loves to do. Summer Walker having social anxiety can be seen as a teachable moment, for the simple fact that you don’t always know what someone else is going through.

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.