This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Spring break will be here before you know it, and you don’t want to be stuck sitting at home while your friends are laid out on someone’s island, soaking up the sun. It always helps to plan ahead for any trip, so you and your friends have your money, work schedules, outfits, and anything in between in order.

Some of the biggest issues most college students run into include, the cost of travel, age limits on activities, and finding reasonably priced accommodations. While it seems over whelming at first, all it takes is a little web surfing to plan your perfect Spring Break get away.

If you’re worried about places to stay, be sure to check out websites like Airbnb, Travelocity, Trivago, and even Craigslist.

Airbnb lets you stay with a host who gives their house up for the time you requested, for prices starting as low as $80 a night. You are able to see pictures of where you’re staying, a list of house rules set by the owner, and read about any amenities they offer.

Hotel sites like Travelocity and Trivago work very well, especially if you’re looking for side by side comparisons of prices. These sites usually show deals hotel websites may not show, and Trivago gives you a comparision of prices from other sites like Travelocity and Expedia.

Craigslist is another alternative if you’re looking to save money, but just be sure you know your host and do some research on the area where you’ll be staying. We know that there are some shady people out there, so be sure to protect yourself and your money before you fully commit to that one place.

There are also websites that help you plan your entire trip from soup to nuts. One that I found is efcollegebreak.com, lets you choose everything from your trip date, departure location, destination, and season. From there it shows you a list of locations to choose from that match your preferences, and it gives you a detailed break down of the prices which include a round trip ticket, accommodations, and activities.

Their trips are for destinations both in and out the country, and range from $1,500 – $3,000.  Destinations include Puerto Rico, Jamaica, England, and more. They even offer payment plans, and they have a sale going on until February 5, so if you’re interested be sure to check it out!

If going out of the country isn’t on your agenda, the Travel section of U.S. News & World Report offers some great alternatives. On their list of top 10 places to visit for spring break, Daytona was ranked number 1 and Myrtle Beach was ranked number 5. Other great places to check out are Atlanta, Miami, Panama City, and Los Angeles.

Once you figure out where you want to go, make sure you find events and other activities that you meet the age requirement for. Nothing is worse than planning a trip, making the decision to go to a club, bar, or party, and finding out that you have to be 21. There are always alternatives for those of us who haven’t reached the rewarding age of being fully legal, so make sure you plan ahead to avoid any hiccups.

Spring break is supposed to be your time to kick back, unwind, and relax from the work you’ve been doing all semester. Make it more stress free by doing your research, planning your trip together with your friends, and getting started as early as possible to make sure you get the best deals you can.

Make sure that you stay on top of all your stuff, and don’t forget to have fun with the process! 

Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.