etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
etienne girardet Xh6BpT 1tXo unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Spring Break Packing Guide 101

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ladies, if you’re anything like me you have waited until the last millisecond to begin to put together outfits for your spring break trip. You’ve waited to even begin washing clothes, and the outfits you’ve ordered are arriving today at 2:00pm. Now, you’re stuck because you have to get on an airplane with a bag that has to meet a weight requirement, but you want to take everything. What if you forget something? What if you’re outfits don’t match the caliber of your friends? Do you even have enough clothes to put together any cute outfits? Here’s a guide to successfully pack for your spring break trip.

1.PACK OUTFITS.

As unrealistic as it sounds to put together outfits before you begin packing, you almost have to. When going to a foreign place with your friends for spring break, you normally have an event line up. Use that even lineup to narrow down your options. Write down the places that you’re going and choose outfits for the occasion. Know how many dresses, “chill” fits, bathing suits, coverups, jeans, and tees you have to include.

2. BE REALISTIC WITH YOUR NUMBER OF OUTFIT CHANGES.

The only articles of clothing that needs to be doubled, or even tripled is the amount of underwear and socks. (You can never take too many showers). If you are planning on changing your outfit three times a day, shop for a more “all-around” outfit. Many times you can wear the same bodysuit with jeans and a skirt, and it will give a completely different look. Attempt to not overpack by mix-matching your outfits. Backup outfits are necessary, but those outfits are strictly in case of emergency. For example, if you are going to Miami for four days, you do not need twenty outfits, not to mention you will exceed your suitcase weight limit for the airplane.

3. CONSULT YOUR FRIENDS.

There’s nothing more frustrating than showing up to the same event with the same outfit as your friend and it was unplanned. Be sure that you are not showing up to an event as the Gross Sisters. Also, every friendship group has a “fashionista.” If you just can’t narrow down your carts, bring your friends together and narrow down outfits that would look good on you and go with the group dynamic. Many times, your friends can easily narrow down what you have and save you the embarrassment of a “that ain’t it” outfit.

4. SHOES WEIGH THE MOST, SO DON’T OUTDO YOURSELF.

Even if you feel that outfits are not “redo-able,” shoes most definitely are. Be careful to not pack shoes that you KNOW you will not wear. Consider the audience when choosing. Walking a boardwalk or strip will require a sandal or sneaker, but the night life will may require a heel (not always). Attempt to select shoes that can be paired with a lot of outfits and save yourself the hassle of toting around a shoe for every outfit. A cute sandal can go a LONG way at the beach, or on a Vegas strip. Also, take into consideration the fact that in crowded places, you do not want to be the one tip-toeing around and making a scene. Be a LOOK, but do it comfortably.

5. PACK THE CUTEST OUTFITS YOU HAVE.

The dress that has been comfortably collecting dust in the back of your closet; now is the time to whip her out. Miami, Las Vegas, PCB…. this is not the time to be humble. These are not the times to bombard your duffle with “chill fits.” There will be men, drinks, and fun and this would be the worst time to not look your best. Put your best foot forward, because some of these people will never see you again!

It’s go time!

Jazmin Lee

Hampton U '20

Jazmin Lee is a junior, Biology major from the "Queen City" Charlotte, NC. Her hobbies include singing/writing music, reading everything from poetry to blogs, and of course......socializing. She is currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com