This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Going home for spring break, might make you feel like you’re boring and lame and not gonna have as much fun as anyone else. Well, that simply isn’t true. There are many ways to have fun/make the most of going home for spring break. Keep reading, I have some good news for you….

So you should definitely turn staying home during spring break into a positive rather than a negative. So you might not be going on a tropical vacation or go on a cruise, but you can still have fun and ultimately get the rest that you need, which can carry you through the semester. Here are some benefits that come with spending spring break at home: 

1. Family time!– You get to spend time with your family and all of your loved ones. You get to catch up with them, and just feel the love all around. 
  2. Home cooking!– This is a big one y’all. You can get that good home food, and not have to worry about spending your money every other day on food. You can get that nice home cooked meal and have as many plates as you want. 
  3. Relax- Honestly, if you wanted to stay in your bed all day, you can totally do that. Spring break at home can give you time to recharge, and rest your mind, body, and spirit. 
  4. Visiting old Friends– Maybe some of your friends from home have the same spring break as you! Spend time with them, catch up, or maybe go out. This can be a good time to catch up with some old faces. 
  5. Local Spots– You can visit your favorite food place that isn’t around where your school is, and enjoy that all to yourself. 
  6. Sleep– There is a reason that spring break comes right after midterms…..and who doesn’t like their own bed?! 
  7. Catch up on homework– This can be a good opportunity for you to catch up on all the work coming up and to take advantage of that free time. 
  8. Pets– This does not apply to everyone, but if you have a pet this is a great opportunity to see them and spend some quality time with them. 
  9. Self Care- We all love our friends of course, but sometimes it is possible to just have “you” time , away from the pressures of college or the dorm life, and other distractions. You can just be one with yourself. 
  10. Mental Break– Being a home is a good mental break, because you are in a familiar space. You can just give your mind a rest. 

Overall, I hope these ideas helped anyone who is a little bummed about going home for spring break. I am in the same boat as you, but writing this article made me excited to go home and get this “Sierra time”. If you are going home for spring break like me, then enjoy it. You should make the most of it. 

Sierra Smither

Hampton U '21

Sierra Smither is a Junior psychology major from Boston Massachusetts! She enjoys writing, hanging out with friends and family, sports, and reading!
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!