This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Let’s talk about sex baby! At some point in time sex becomes plain and boring, there is no excitement or spontaneity anymore. Sex can become a routine like work or school. Everyone can fall into a sex rut and needs techniques to spice it up. There are many ways to spice up your relationship and get things a little more exciting. But first talk with your partner and make sure they are okay to do some exploring. Consent and mutuality is key. 

You might want to write these tips down:

One thing that can help your relationship is try to start building a connection through more than just sex. Try to actually bond with each other. This way you can become closer to your partner without putting so much emphasis on sex as the ultimate way to fully connect. 

Try to do something like a nice little surprise for your significant other when they come to see you. Try to find that little bit of time in there day when they least expect something like that whether that is you waiting on them naked in bed, performing a sexy dance or setting up the mood. Spontaneity can spark lust and desire.

Using food during sex like whip cream,honey, choclate or whatever you like and placing it on your partner’s body and licking it is something that can spice things up a bit. Use food to take your time through sex and to allow your self to be in the moment. Certain foods are aphrodisiacs that build up sex hormones in men and women, so use it to your advantage. 

Music can also spice up your sex life or just setting the mood in general. Making a playlist of all those sexy songs you know and love can make sex unforgettable. For men and women using the rhythm or beat of the song and timing it with your strokes can also improve the times when you are having sex. Artists like Summer Walker, Rihana, Chris Brown, Ginuwine and Tank have slow and sultry sounds that can put anyone in a good mood. 

Roleplay. Roleplaying can definitely make sex interesting whether you are a sexy school girl and your partner is the teacher, a sexy doctor and a nurse, a kitty and a lion. Telling each other what the story line is and dressing and then going from there can make sex way fun. Roleplaying could also extended out of the confines of your room and into the real world if you really wanted to.

Sexting can make sex enjoyable as well. Send a steamy text message to your significant other and keep the conversation going. If you want to send pictures and say what you want to do to each other that is great too. You can also do this through a phone call or phone sex. Hearing each other’s voice and making sounds can get you in the mood even more. 

Other methods to spice up your sex life is to try different sex positions, even the ones that seem impossible, it makes sex fun and adventouorous. Another way is to use sex toys whether its whips, furry handcuffs and even pleasurable items like dildos and vibrating underwear. 

The important thing to remember when trying to spice up your sex life is to explore, be bold and most of all have fun

Hi!, My name is Arielle and I am a second-year pre-nursing major at Hampton University from Columbia, South Carolina.