photo of corn field
photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

Spending Thanksgiving alone? No problem!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and many students are gearing up to travel back home to visit friends and loved ones. It is a time to be jubilant and be surrounded with varying amounts of smells and goodies that Thanksgiving day has to offer. For others, however, Thanksgiving Day may be spent alone this year-and that’s perfectly fine. There are many students across the nation who are unable to spend the holiday with their family and friends because of traveling costs or other predetermined activities. So trust me, you will not be the only odd one out. Even though this holiday may seem gloomy, don’t feel the need to wallow too deeply because there are many ways to enjoy Thanksgiving without being surrounded with your family and friends. Here are a few suggestions that will help you celebrate Thanksgiving day to yourself.

1. Fix a thanksgiving meal that will satisfy your soul

All food is good for the soul- even on Thanksgiving. Scour for recipes high and low on the internet or call up a family member (or friend) to get the scoop on how to cook a certain meal so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving evening.

2. Create a new tradition

Many individuals have certain traditions that have been passed down to them since birth. When you fast forward to the years where you realize you’ll be spending Thanksgivings by yourself, you may pick up a new tradition here or there. Don’t be afraid to start the tradition either, it’ll help keep you entertained, and it will have a lasting memory.

3. Watch television or binge watch movies

Sit back and relax! Having Thanksgiving by yourself means that there is no rush to cook because you’re only satisfying yourself and there are no expectations on how your meal turns out when you cook do cook. After you cook yourself your own meal, you have all the time in the world to sit down on your couch or bed and watch reruns of old TV shows. Also, while you’re watching those shows or movies, take the time to FaceTime or Skype your friends or family members to stay in touch so you won’t feel totally secluded.

4. Volunteer at a local shelter or church

Want to get out of your apartment or dorm room? Go visit a local shelter, food bank, or church to help those who are unable to provide for themselves for Thanksgiving. Helping out those in need will definitely raise your spirit and make an impact on not only their life, but yours as well.

5. Make the day for YOU!

Finally, this solitude is meant for you so do what you feel is best for YOUR happiness and don’t force yourself to do anything that you think you should do. Let whatever it is that you plan on doing on Thanksgiving day flow smoothly. You’ll do just fine by yourself, it will not be as bad as it seems.

Jaelan Leonard

Hampton U '20

Jaelan Leonard is a junior journalism communications major, marketing minor at Hampton University (Hampton U' 20) . Jaelan is from Virginia Beach, Virginia and attends Hampton on an a full athletic track scholarship.
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com