christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
christian wiediger ZYLmudR28SA unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Social Media Affecting Romantic Relationships: Know Your Worth

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Ladies, you’re scrolling down your Instagram feed and see that your boo just liked another girl’s picture. You sit there wondering, why he had the audacity to like her picture. I mean, he knew it was a possibility that you would see it, so now, he really got you thinking like……is he serious? So, you decide to text him and let him know that you saw that like. He finally responds to you and let’s you know it’s not that serious, it’s just Instagram. But, you remember your friend telling you that she found out her Ex was cheating on her because she caught him liking other girls pictures. Now what do you do?

Social media plays the biggest role in society today. Liking Instagram pictures, liking a tweet, or swiping up on a snap while in a relationship can cause issues. Social media continues to prove that many only like the idea of being in a relationship, instead of putting in the effort to build a relationship. The way you choose to portray your relationship on social media can affect your relationship because you are choosing to live a lie. Many believe that posting pictures of their significant other on social media equates to love. If they don’t post you, then you feel like they’re trying to hide you because it’s a possibility they might be messing with someone else.

Many relationships sadly end from the insecurities that stem from being on social media. Women find themselves insecure but mostly find themselves not worthy. Unfortunately,  the standard of a woman is not how she feels, it is not how she thinks, but it is how she looks. The same goes for the standard of a man. A man should be a certain height, have a certain job and have the perfect personality. People have gotten lost in this space that everything has to be perfect. Your relationship should take on the depth of power, love and happiness.

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.