Wellness > Mental Health

Social Anxiety in College: 5 Tips For How to Deal

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

There’s no denying it, college is the place where you face the most fears. With constant club interest meetings, parties on the weekends, group projects every other day and sociable dining halls, there’s no denying that you can become easily overwhelmed. But, having social anxiety in a place filled with the constant need to put yourself out there can be quite hard. Lucky for you, there are five easy tips that you can follow to help you deal with your anxiety.

Tip #1: Take Deep Breaths

It’s important to learn the in’s and out’s of your body. Occasionally taking deep breaths when feeling overwhelmed can help relax your mind. Having a steady breath can also help slow down your heart when you’re feeling extremely anxious. Having a slow, steady heart rate can also help slow down your thoughts so you aren’t overthinking.

Tip #2: Your Thoughts Are Not Reality

When having social anxiety, it’s easy for your thoughts to take over your reality. Understanding that you control your reality is a step that can help you get out of the habit of your thoughts controlling you. When your thoughts take over your ability to see reality, they’re usually negative. When you start to think like that, it’s best to write down those thoughts and find positive reinforcements instead.

Tip #3: Speak To Someone

Part of having social anxiety is feeling like there is no one who would listen to you express your feelings. On many campuses there are counseling centers/peer counseling where you are able to talk to these individuals that can possibly help you. Not only does it feel good to tell others how you’re feeling, but, having someone to just listen to you can help you slightly get out of your comfort zone. There is always someone to catch you if you fall, you just have to let them.

Tip #4: Get To Know Yourself

In college, it’s easy to fall into peer pressure and become what you think people will like, instead of staying true to yourself. Getting to know your likes/dislikes, favorite foods, your sense of style etc. will help you set your own identity to stand out. A part of social anxiety stems from thinking about what others will think or say. When you’re in college, it’s essential to take a break from school work and social settings to get to know yourself on a deeper level. Go shopping, get your nails done, get a haircut, buy a book etc. and you’ll see how helpful it’ll be.

Tip #5: Face Your Fears

Being able to face your fears in small steps can help when it comes time to face more challenging issues in the future. For example, if giving a speech in front of class makes you nervous, practice in front of your mirror to help calm your nerves. Sometimes it’s best to take that leap of faith that shows you’re trying to live a little instead of staying closed in and sheltered off from everybody.

Willow Jones

Hampton U '21

Willow is a Criminal Justice major from Harlem, New York. Willow has hopes of becoming a criminal defense attorney. In her spare time, she loves writing and hopes to merge law and writing together in the future.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.