social media apps?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
social media apps?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Culture > Digital

Smell The Roses: Your Sign to Try a Social Media Cleanse

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Technology can be a true blessing, and it makes many of our lives ten times easier. Why go to a library when you have access to millions of reliable (and unreliable) sources of information. There is no need to spend money on a movie theatre ticket when there are several streaming services that you can access for the same amount, but with hundreds of entertainment choices at a monthly rate and longer and easier accessibility at any time or place with WIFI or a data tower. Technology allows us to maintain bonds without taking the drive, train, or plane to see our loved ones. However, one of the most popular features that our cell-phone, laptops, and tablets give us access to is the interconnecting world of social media. These days, just about everyone, their momma, grandmama, their babies, and even probably their pets, are on Facebook, Snapchat (more or less), Twitter, Instagram, or Tik-Tok. It’s just something that has become a part of our global culture. Social media apps open a world of possibilities, opportunities, and experiences that can positively benefit us. It can be used as a platform for advertisement, to gain information, launch and expand businesses, find employment, entertain, network, and just about anything you could think of doing.

However, because of social media’s easy accessibility and little to no limitations, there are many risks associated with this growing phenomenon, such as being catfished, scammed, misinformed, harassed, and distracted. Social media can be draining, and with all the things happening digitally and in real-time, maintaining focus and balance can become challenging. However, because many of us, like myself, grew up in the generation where social media and technology peaked, it has become a vital part of our lives. Most of us Gen Z-ers are tech babies;  social media is our library, hobbies, and communication. It is hard to imagine what life would have been like if Mark Zuckerberg, Jack Dorsey, and Kevin Systrom had decided to take a different route in life rather than building social media platforms. I find it strange to think that our parents, grandparents, and even some of our siblings used to be clueless about the world around them unless they read the newspaper or watched the news on the single television in the living room. Most likely, they couldn’t see their friends unless they physically went to their houses or met up at a pre-designated time. If they wanted to talk on the phone, they had to use a landline; having a cell phone was either not heard of or very rare in their days. The closest thing they probably had to texting was paging. At times, I think our parents and grandparents, even our older siblings, may have experienced a version of life that we are missing out on. They learned how to venture out and go to new places, talk to people face to face, and fill the empty spots in their days with reading, knitting, or just sitting outside, taking in nature and stopping to smell the roses.

Separating from digital validation in the age of likes and views takes maturity, and acknowledging that one may lean on social media as a crutch takes honesty. The reason I say this is not to belittle anyone or to be a “pick me” because becoming attached to social media is not a problem for everyone. No one is perfect and it probably isn’t your fault if you become overly dependent or addicted to social media. What matters is that you choose to break the cycle and acknowledge the other things that life offers. From my own experience, social media and technology, in general, can increase anxiety, negatively impact self-esteem and self-trust, lower attention spans, and hinder organic conversation. I’m sure many others have been through and maybe are currently experiencing the same thing. I’m ashamed to say that I would spend four hours each day just mindlessly scrolling on Instagram and TikTok because it had become a force of habit. I would find myself opening Instagram without even thinking about why I was opening it; it was like second nature. Even though boredom was a factor in the problem, I realized it was more complex than that. In a deep self-search, I learned that I was using social media as a coping mechanism. While I thought social media was helping me and adding to my satisfaction in life, it began to drain the life out of me.

Because I observed that I had become dependent and almost attached to social media, I took ten days off of social media every month since January. I may continue to remain off of social media longer, especially if I find no real need or actual desire to be on it. I completely delete social media so that I will not be tempted to open it. I may spend about fifteen minutes on social media if I have some spare time during the week. It took a long time for me to achieve such a level of detachment; I felt like a newborn baby weaning from its mother’s milk. It took a lot of discipline and intention to get through my first social media cleanse without falling off the edge. Over time, it became more of a habit rather than something forced. I realized that I began to positively change in various ways mentally and socially. So, if you have been considering taking a social media cleanse but hesitating just because you are not sure what it will do for you, I will share with you some benefits I have discovered during my cleanses.

I noticed a decrease in anxiety and fewer chances of self-doubt when taking breaks from social media. Social media can be an entertaining place, but because of the vast amount of information we receive at once, it can all be overwhelming. Accounts such as “the Shaderoom” or “Hollywood Unlocked” inform us about so many things at one time, with not enough time for our minds to process the information. Also, prolonged time on social media can easily influence our opinions, beliefs, and self-esteem. We can become victims of “group thinking” due to social media pressure on us to follow the newest trends or develop a particular kind of personality. It becomes easy to get lost in the sauce, and question who you are, where you are in life, and your uniquely developed beliefs. Social media cleanses relieve the pressure of commenting on the “right” thing, posting the “right” thing, sharing the “right” thing, and living the “right” kind of life. You learn to not care about knowing what’s going on in other people’s lives just for the sake of it. If it’s about drama, celebrity beef, or scandals, then it’s nonsense to me. If, for example, the world is not about to end, Jhene Aiko, J.Cole, or Giveon has not died, or Donald Trump was not reelected then social media and I have no reason to share an overwhelming amount of time together. Additionally, you get to know yourself better. I have discovered new things that I like and have revived hobbies that I put off. I have much more time to read books, meditate, and watch informational videos that I want to learn more about the topic. Social Media cleanses up the space in your life that social media usually occupies. It may not be until you go on a social media cleanse that you realize how much there truly is to do. You’ll learn how to live to the fullest and by whatever standards or terms, you set for yourself.

In conjunction with the new hobbies you may take on, you’ll become more productive, motivated, disciplined in what you do. Social media cleanses and college goes hand and hand because, without the distraction and temptation to scroll, there will be nothing (or at least one less thing) slowing you down from getting done that paper, reading that chapter, or studying for that test. Also, if you’re someone who uses social media to avoid doing work out of a fear of failure (like me), you’ll have no choice but to start the assignment because you won’t be able to use social media to lean on. You may say, “well, I could easily read a book or go out instead of using social media to avoid an assignment,” and this may be, but these things take a lot more effort to use as a procrastination tool. Because social media is easily accessible, it’s easier to use it to avoid work. However, if you subtract it from the situation, it could be an effective way to get more done in less time. Moreover, social media can delay motivation because of how entertaining it is, but with the discipline that social cleanses both require and develops, you’ll become more motivated than ever. Lastly, social media cleanses effectively improve your interpersonal communication skills. I have learned to open up and speak to people instead of remaining submerged in my explore page. They remind you that posts and stories actually aren’t adequate ways to get to know people, and by no means do they constitute “staying in contact.” This may hurt many of you, but following someone on social media is NOT an actual friendship if you guys don’t have a conversation, whether digitally or in person. 

In all, I would like for anyone struggling with parting from social media for a  bit, to know that social media is not a necessary, mandatory, or permanent aspect of life. It is an important part of our society and is a great tool to use to your advantage; however, as with everything else that is man-made, social media is capable of just collapsing or going out of style one day. Be sure that if it were to collapse, you won’t fall with it. Remember that social media is a choice that you make. Going on a social media cleanse now and then is an active step to setting healthy boundaries between you and the consuming nature of technology. Being able to take at least a few hours off special media each day reinforces your individuality and capability of stepping away from something external when it is needed. Social media cleanses filter out unnecessary drama, inaccurate information, and ingenuine people trying to flex a lifestyle they do not even know. I encourage you to take some time off of social media if you find your social media activity to be at an unhealthy rate or if you find your inner being negatively impacted. There’s so much in life that needs to be discovered and so much within yourself to be uncovered, so I challenge you to get off of Instagram and Tiktok and take a few whole days just to stop, breathe, and smell the roses.

Lizzy Veal

Hampton U '24

Elizabeth Veal is a sophomore, Sociology major and Criminal Justice minor at Hampton University. She is from Baltimore, Maryland (shout out to the 410) , and recently joined HerCampus in September 2021. She is excited to make new memories with her fellow members, improve her writing skills, and become involved in all that HerCampus and Hampton University has to offer. In her spare time, she enjoys watching classic Black films, listening to R&B and old school rap. Her favorite artists are Jhene Aiko, Giveon, J Cole, and Tupac.