kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
kike vega F2qh3yjz6Jk unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Sleep Deprivation on College Students

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

We are all aware of how important sleep is and the effects it has on your body. However, most do not take it as seriously as they should.  50% of college students report daytime sleepiness and 70% receive insufficient sleep on a regular basis, according to the US National Library of Medicine National Institute of Health. Sleep is essential in keeping the mind and body aligned to run smoothly in our favor. A constant lack of sleep can lead to problems such as an increased risk of academic failure, depression, and anxiety, as well as the efficiency to retain information learned throughout the day.

For most college students, getting a good night’s sleep is a hit or miss. The average student gets 5 to 6 hours of sleep, yet it is recommended that we get 7 to 8 hours of sleep to give our body the chance to reboot and prepare for the next day. Studies have shown that a lack of sleep is directly related to an increase in the risk of developing Alzheimer’s disease, as well as certain cancers. Pulling all-nighters for classes takes a bigger toll on your body than you think; the average person can go 16 hours without sleep before their mental state starts to deteriorate. Without sleep, our minds are not able to reboot and process the memories we make on a daily basis.

Take into consideration just how important sleep really is the next time you are up late on Netflix or at a party over the weekend. Your mental and physical health should come first, so be mindful of how much sleep you are getting each night because it truly makes a difference!​

Cashara Quinn

Hampton U '21

Cashara is a graduating senior Journalism major, Spanish minor from Chesapeake, Virginia. She will be a news producer at WFTX Fox 4 upon graduation. Her hobbies include playing the violin, dancing, and fashion. As Cashara continues to build her resume, she hopes to inspire young girls to work hard to achieve their goals and believes that anything is possible through Christ.
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.