Six Tips for Hampton Freshmen

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

1.  Get Focused

Now that NSO week has ended and classes have begun, let me officially welcome you to Hampton University! While it may seem like Hampton is a fashion show and the LITTEST school (compared to the rest of your friend’s Snapchats from back home), don’t forget that it is college and you will be expected to not only complete your schoolwork, but to do it in a timely manner! Trust and believe, you will thank me later when you are not considering dropping out during midterms.

2.  Get Involved

Now is the time to join clubs, intramural sports, and organizations. You have the ability to make your presence known on campus and in the Hampton Roads area. Getting involved will allow you to start new friendships and expose you to different people that you may not usually interact with on a daily basis.

3. Take Advantage of Curfew

Even though curfew may seem like the most annoying thing right now, you will look back on it as an upperclassman and appreciate it. Curfew forces you to bond with people in your dorm, stay safe and gives you the time you need to get your work done.

4. Build Friendships

You are no longer limited to just socializing with the same people you have been around the last four years. Welcome to Hampton, where yes, the majority of us may be black but we all have different upbringings, cultures and stories. Whether it is getting to know the Caribbean girl from New York, learning how to “Sexywalk” or finding out what the big deal about mumbo sauce is; DO IT!

5. Get a Bubble Umbrella

September in Hampton is beautiful except when it rains. When I say rain, I really mean when there is a category five hurricane that hits campus and you expect a notification that class is canceled (which will never happen). Not only will there be lakes on campus, okay puddles, but there will be dozens of broken umbrellas on the ground. The wind gets out of control and takes out everything in its way- except bubble umbrellas.

6. Develop Time Management and Study Skills

While class may seem easy now, having a “Midterm life crisis” is real and it happens to the best of us. So instead of going to every 12-2, Holland, Ballroom or Harbor party, it may do you well to stay inside in brush up on your notes. Remember, you have unlimited time to twerk to “Booty Me Down” or sweat your edge control out, but MyMathLabs are timed. 

Alyssa Wynter is currently a sophomore Kinesiology major at Hampton University. Hailing from the suburbs of Long Island, New York she found herself being fascinated by literature at a young age. Self-described as a bookworm and nerd, she takes pleasure in reading, writing or editing papers for leisure. In addition to Her Campus, Alyssa writes her own blog 'Life as Lav'. With plans to study abroad and to travel the world she is ready and excited to learn and experience new cultures first hand. Her ultimate goal is to become a physical therapist and to continue her exploration in journalism. 
Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.