Six Natural Hairdos for Homecoming

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

When dorms start smelling like burnt weave and blow outs gone wrong, it’s that time of year again. Everyone is trying to look their best for homecoming week. However, looking good does not have to come with heat damage. Natural sisters have endless options when it comes to jazzing up their hair. Here are a few ways to style your curly tresses, so you too can pop out for homecoming.

TWA (Teeny With Attitude)

Awesome Accessories

Contrary to popular belief, you don’t need long locks to have versatility. A short cut is edgy alone, but if you want to add a little more pizazz, jazz it up. Add accessories like a sparkly headbands or a head piece. If you want to stand out you need to get out of your comfort zone. Try something new like a unique pair of earrings or a bold lip color you’ve been too scared to try.

Twist out with a Twist

The Fabulous Fro-Hawk

Nothing shows off your confidence more than a fun and flirty faux hawk. To achieve this look, use several hair elastics to make mini puffs down the center of your scalp. Tease them to your heart’s desire until they look like one unified strip. Also make sure you brush your edges with a toothbrush and some edge control for a smoother look. This fierce twist on your fro will definitely make you the belle of the ball.

The Classic Puff

With this look you get the best of both worlds, a slicked back up do and a big voluminous fro at the same time. After completing your normal twist out routine, gel down the bottom half of your hair. Brush it as if you are about to make a ponytail. Next take either an enlarged elastic or a piece of a stocking and tie up the rest of your hair in a poof. For more volume use an afro pic. Complete the look with some earrings and make sure your baby hairs are laid for days.

Changing it up

Fierce Flexi Rod Set

Tired of shrinkage? If you want elongated curls without all the heat damage, a flexi rod set is your best bet. This look should last all week. Want to make this even more versatile? Take this set of curls and transform it into the puff and fro hawk that were mentioned earlier.

Protective Style

Half up, Half down

Nothing is more timeless than a half up, half down hairdo. You can secure the top by making a ponytail with an elastic or using bobby pins. Want to take this style to the next level? Add flat twists, a bun, or a teased poof at the top. The possibilities are endless.

Big ‘ol Bun

Protective styles make the perfect up dos. Get that hair out of your face and into a bun. Create a high pony tail and then wrap your braids around the elastic. After securing it with bobby pins, tease and play with the bun until you get the look that you desire.

Homecoming is a time to feel special. No matter the length or the texture of your fro, you can step out of the box with a creative and fun hairstyle. Natural hair is amazing mostly because it is so versatile. So ladies, step away from the flat iron and get ready to have all eyes on you this week.

Lauren Hendricks is a Junior, Journalism major at Hampton University. When she's not busy studying, serving as a Campus Correspondent for Her Campus Hampton U or staying involved on Hampton's campus, she can be found at a local Starbucks, mall or on her yoga mat. Lauren is enthusiastic about community service and telling stories. Check here for blog posts and updates.