Signs That You are the Clingy Girl

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Whether you’re dating a new guy, casually dating someone you like or even trying to get over your ex, figuring out how to act is always the difficult part no matter what situation you find yourself in. When you really like a guy you feel this constant urge to talk to him, text him and see him. Most of the time you know how to tell if you’re being too clingy before you hit send on that message and other times you just can’t help it. The question then becomes where do you draw the line between being flirty and being desperate? Here are 6 signs to let you know that you’re becoming that clingy girl:

1. You constantly text him

• It’s okay to initiate the conversation if you’ve both been texting each other. Some would even go as far as saying to occasionally double text him. But, if you are texting him every 10 minutes or fewer and he isn’t responding, you have surpassed clingy and at this point you seem crazy and need to stop. If he doesn’t text you back at all, it’s time for you to move on. With that being said, if his responses are one worded with minimal punctuation, he’s probably truly just not interested and isn’t playing mind games.

1. You get nervous when he doesn’t respond

• The follow up to number 1. If you get nervous and anxious because he hasn’t responded to you, you probably should reevaluate your attachment to this guy. If you get nervous and anxious because he isn’t responding, it’s time to reevaluate your attachment. Instead of focusing so much on this uncertain relationship, focus on your life and your schedule. When you’re preoccupied with your own life and hobbies, you’ll be less likely to worry about whether or not he has texted you back. or not.

1. You stalk him on social media

• Stalking someone on social media is normal-ish, but it becomes a problem when you are doing it too often. We are all guilty of over analyzing a guy’s social media but try to regulate how often you do it because it can mean that you’re being too desperate. Watch how often you like and comment on his pictures as well. If social media stalking him is jeopardizing your independence, then you’ve gone too far.

1. You don’t trust him

• If you constantly have to know what your guy is doing and who he is with all the time then these are red flags that you’re becoming clingy. You may think that your clingy attitude can in some way make your bond with him stroinger but it’s doing the opposite. It is pushing you further apart and eventually he is going to go MIA. If you are in a healthy relationship, being insecure and trying to control him is going to inevitably end in a breakup.

1. You’re at his beck and call all the time

• One tell-tale sign of clinginess is always being at your man’s beck and call. This can be destructive because he can use your willingness to manipulate you. Don’t always feel like you have to be in communication with him. If he wants to go out with you but you have plans with your girlfriends, don’t ditch your friends for him! Also, if you are always going out of your way to do little things for him and he doesn’t reciprocate, you’re trying too hard. Clinginess is a sign that you don’t value yourself. If you value yourself and you are confident he will do whatever it takes to win you. Always remember your worth and any guy who doesn’t appreciate you for the goddess that you are doesn’t deserve you.

1. Moving too fast.

• There are a few steps that you can’t afford to miss if you are seeing a new guy. If by the first few dates you already refer to him as your boyfriend and introducing him to your family and friends, you are moving a little too fast. Also talking about your future together too early is also a big no no. The key is to pace yourself and make sure that you and your new man are on the same page before you start defining a relationship.

great article!