Wellness

Seasonal Depression: What is it and how to overcome

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Gloomy weather got you down? Have no fear, because Her Campus is here to educate and raise awareness about an important issue that affects more people than you would think. Seasonal Affective Disorder (also known as SAD) is defined as “A mood disorder characterized by depression that occurs at the same time every year.” Seasonal depression season generally starts in the fall and carries on into the winter months.

As women, it’s important to be aware of how we’re feeling and taking care of ourselves. With the weather getting cooler and the winter months quickly approaching, we begin to stay in the house more often. Due to the fact that the weather is changing and it starts to get dark outside earlier, we spend more time in solitude, in dark rooms which has the potential to put a damper on our mood. With Seasonal Depression, the brain becomes triggered as a response to decreased daylight exposure. Scientifically, there is no answer as to why and how this happens, however there are theories out there that focus on sunlight’s role in the brain’s production of specific key hormones which help to regulate sleep-wake cycles, energy and mood.

There are two chemicals that naturally occur in the human body that are also involved with Seasonal Affective Disorder.

1. Melatonin which helps regulate sleep. It is produced in larger quantities when it is dark or when the days are shorter. Increased production can cause sleepiness.

2. Serotonin is another chemical that increases when exposed to sunlight. Low levels of serotonin are linked to depression, so increasing the levels helps to fight depression.

Seasonal depression is much more common than you would think, as there are a reported 3 million cases per year. An estimated six in every 100 people will experience SAD in their lifetime. It is most common in young adults ages 14-30. Similar to other forms of depression, women are four times more likely than males to develop SAD, as are individuals who have relatives with a history of depression. It is important to take into account your individual biology, brain chemistry, family history, environment and life experiences as these might make some people more prone to SAD than others. According to the National Institute of Mental Health, 30% of college students reported feeling “So depressed it was difficult to function.” This is why it is important to be aware of how we’re feeling so we can know when and how to take care of ourselves.

Symptoms of seasonal depression include but are not limited to:

• Less energy

• Trouble concentrating

• Fatigue

• Greater appetite

• Increased desire to be alone

• Greater need for sleep

• Weight gain

Treatment for Seasonal Affective Disorder varies, depending on how severe a person’s symptoms are. The most common forms of treatment include:

• Increased light exposure.

• Light Therapy (phototherapy)

• Phototherapy should only be done at a doctor’s discretion.

• Talk Therapy

Seasonal Affective Disorder should be treated just as any other form of depression. While symptoms can be mild, severe or anywhere in between, it is important to become aware of the disorder and take preventative measures to keep seasonal depression away during the winter season. If you or a friend has Seasonal Affective Disorder and/or questions about SAD, here are a few related resources:

Her Campus Contributor Account 
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com