This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As we approach the final months of the year and enter into the holiday season, there are bound to be a wide range of feelings and emotions being brought up. Although most people associate the holidays as fun with family and friends and a break from school/work, others may associate this time of year with negative emotions. The reason behind their dread of the holiday season could be purely from past experiences during this time of year or there can be a chemical factor contributing, which would make it Seasonal affective disorder or SAD. Seasonal Depression is a type of depression that’s related to changes in seasons; it begins and ends at about the same times every year. Most people with seasonal depression start showing symptoms in the fall that continue into the winter months, draining your energy and making you feel moody. With everything going on in the world; a global pandemic and quarantine, the rate of people experiencing seasonal depression may increase this year. If you were already struggling with mental health and stress from the demands of life during a pandemic, these fall and winter months might be tougher on you. Fall and Winter can heighten the feelings of helplessness, hopelessness, and irritability, and confinement that is already felt due to the ongoing pandemic. It’s important to be prepared when dealing with SAD, so here are some tips and suggestions for getting through this season.

Symptoms 

To deal with your seasonal depression, it’s important that you know if you’re experiencing it or not, these are the signs and symptoms of SAD:

• Feeling depressed most of the day, nearly every day
  • Losing interest in activities you once enjoyed
  • Having low energy
  • Having problems with sleeping
  • Experiencing changes in your appetite or weight
  • Feeling sluggish or agitated
  • Having difficulty concentrating
  • Feeling hopeless, worthless or guilty
  • Having frequent thoughts of death or suicide

Other Signs of SAD may include an immense urge to sleep a lot, craving carbs, lack of motivation, and increased irritability. These symptoms are generally recurring and sometimes, it takes professional help to notice or discover the pattern. 

Tips for Battling Seasonal Depression While in Quarantine

Seek professional help. Talk to a doctor or mental health professional about what you’re feeling during this time. This is especially important if your sleep patterns and appetite have changed, you turn to harmful substances for comfort or relaxation, or you feel hopeless or think about suicide. 

Reach out for support. Share your feelings with the people you trust. Be honest about your needs and try not to isolate yourself. Spend time with family and friends, Look for a virtual therapy group, but don’t go through this time alone. 

Remain active. Fresh air can help you feel better, go for a walk or run, exercising releases dopamine, which is sometimes referred to as the “happy hormone”. Being outside and soaking up the vitamin will help combat your winter blues.

Self-therapy. Although it is nice to have other people around to support you during this time, not everyone has that luxury. To help yourself get through this tough time consider starting a journal to record your feelings, the highs, and the lows. It is important to stick to a routine, start the day with gratitude through prayer or meditation, do your work, exercise often, drink water, and eat healthily. Finally, just treat yourself with the same love and compassion you would give to your family or a friend. 

Do something you love. Even though you might be feeling overwhelmed by negative emotions, it’s important to do something that you love to do. Whether it’s watching a show or movie you enjoy, listening to new music from your favorite artist, or picking up that old hobby again; sometimes a positive outlet is just what you need to brighten your day.

It is necessary to take seasonal depression just as seriously as any other major depression disorder and to seek help if you think you may need it. While symptoms can be mild or severe, it is important to become aware of the disorder and take preventative measures to keep seasonal depression away during the fall/winter season. Reach out to your loved ones and make sure they’re taking care of their mental and physical health during this pandemic. 

Resources

Text HOME To The Crisis Text Line At 741741.

Serenity Smith

Hampton U '24

Hi!! I'm a graduating senior at Hampton University majoring in psychology with a premedical concentration from Prince George’s County, Maryland. I'm passionate about mental health and writing. My most creative outlet is writing poetry, but I have a newfound love of writing articles about topics important to me.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!