Culture > News

A Savage Arrest – 21 Savage Arrested by ICE

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

On Sunday, February 3, rapper 21 Savage, whose real name is Sheyaa Bin Abraham-Joseph, was arrested by Agents from Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). There were claims that he was born in the United Kingdom and has been in the United States illegally for over ten years.

ICE stated that the rapper is a British national and came to the US illegally at the age of 7. He left for one month in 2005, returning back in July 2005 with a H-4 under his visa. ICE explained that 21 Savage is currently being held in custody in Georgia. According to his manager, Mega Meezy, he has been in lockdown for 23 hours with no form of communication.

According to TheGrapeVine, Mr. Abraham-Joseph has three US Citizen children, a lawful permanent resident mother and four siblings that are either US Citizens or lawful permanent residents. He has exceptionally strong ties in the United States, having lived here since he was in the first grade.

Because of his length of residence in the United States and his immediate relatives, Mr. Abraham-Joseph is eligible to seek Cancellation of Removal from an Immigration Judge.

Abraham-Joseph has been a leader in his community in Atlanta, from hosting school drives to giving back to less fortunate children. This news was a shock to fans all over who originally thought he was from Atlanta.

Jay-Z’s recording company, Roc Nation has hired a lawyer for Abraham-Joseph. Many rappers and other prominent figures are spreading awareness about his arrest and hope he can be released soon.

Anisa Saigo

Hampton U '20

My name Is Anisa Saigo and I am a senior journalism major, liberal studies minor from Brooklyn, N.Y. I enjoy everything that has to do with entertainment, fashion, and anything beauty related!
creator.writer.blogger.journalist.sushi enthusiast. Victoria has been obsessed with writing since the days of journals and sneaking to read books under the covers. Her passion shows through each word that she carefully places into sentences, providing an experience that is nothing short of poetic and powerful. Read more of her work on her blog, quintessentiallyspeakingblog.wordpress.com