This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

With the recent attack happening in Las Vegas, it’s important to remember the three-part strategy, Run-Hide-Fight. Each step in this strategy can enhance your chances of survival, when near an armed shooter.​

If you can get away from the building safely, without hurting yourself, and will avoid the armed shooter, then run. When running the best places to avoid are parking-lots, areas out in the open, and hallways where the gunman might walk. It’s important to remember that even though running seems the easiest, it’s not always the safest. Running from the shooter can turn messy in seconds, especially if you are a with a big group. Therefore, always make sure your plan is secure before you execute it.

When an armed gunman is near you hiding may seem like a dumb idea, but it’s okay you are not just a sitting duck. Although hiding may seem hard it’s just as life-saving and effective as running. When finding a place to hide, chose a place that’s disconnected from the main hallways. Once you find the room lock the door and barricade it with chairs, desk, and tools. As soon as the door is secured, find something you can use for protection against the gunman. It’s extremely important that you and whoever is hiding with you remain silent until the cops arrive to get you.

The last part of the three-part strategy is by far the most dangerous. Fighting should only be an option if you fully have confidence in yourself, to take down the gunman. You should look for heavy objects, such as fire extinguishers to disable the gunman. Once you unarm the gunman immediately call the cops, go to a safe area, and wait till you are rescued.  Fighting is not an option for everyone only a few people have that strive in them.

For example, Angela McQueen an Illinois, school teacher at Mattoon High School took down an armed high school student. To her colleagues McQueen is known as, “timid and quiet,” but when she saw the student gunman, she immediately took action. That goes to show, anyone is capable of saving lives when the time comes, even if they are not the strongest.

From all this information, it’s important that you remember the key that goes along with the strategies. Run when it is safe, Hide where you know you will not get caught, and Fight when you can no longer run or hide.

Raven Reaves-Jackson is currently a sophomore Journalism Major, Marketing Minor student at Hampton University. She is entertaining, thoughtful, adventuresome and has great aspirations of being an on-air talent. Raven enjoys reading and listening to podcasts on her downtime. In life, she aims to always have the best support for her family and peers. Raven believes that all good things take time and has big aspirations of starting her own non-profit organization in the future. 
Ania Cotton

Hampton U '18

Ania is a charismatic, outgoing, fun loving individual with aspirations of owning her own public relations firm. Her favorite shows are Spongebob, Regular Show, and Bob's Burgers, and she loves to eat. Ania graduated from Hampton University in May 2018 with her Bachelors of Arts in Strategic Communications with a minor in Spanish. Ania loves to talk and give advice to her friends and family; the motto that she lives by is to always be a blessing to others because you never know who may need it. To learn more about her, visit her website at www.anianicole.com.