Rihanna and A$AP Rocky – From Power Couple to Parents

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Have you heard the news?! Our girl Rihanna is pregnant. The singer, fashion mogul, and businesswoman can now add a new title under her belt – mom! The singer and her boyfriend A$AP Rocky are expecting a child together. Like millions of others around the world, the news of Rihanna being pregnant made me super excited. As someone who has been a fan of the singer for many years, it’s a great feeling to see one of your favorite childhood celebrities enter a new stage in life. Even though we were waiting for the new album, I can’t help but think this is something even better!

Rumors of Rihanna being pregnant aren’t new. People have been claiming the singer was pregnant for years, but they were false. This past year the rumors returned after the singer did a shoot with Dazed magazine. Many assumed it was just the angle of the photos and the rumors were dropped. Again rumors sparked again after Rihanna was photographed in Barbados while she was receiving the “National Hero” award. But again, the rumors were dropped. It wasn’t until January of 2022 when Rihanna and A$AP were photographed in New York City that the rumors came back and did not stop. As someone who was denying the rumors, I couldn’t help but also believe the singer was expecting. From here, I was just waiting for the confirmation.

After a few weeks, Rihanna and A$AP confirmed the pregnancy with a photoshoot in New York City. She looked beautiful while wearing a pink jacket and jeans. Almost instantly, the photo went viral and trending #1 on Twitter. I remember sitting in my psych class and nearly screaming when I saw the photo. As soon as class ended, I posted the photos on my story with excitement. I loved looking at all the memes about Drake and whether or not we will get an album (but seriously – are we?). Celebrities like Nicki Minaj congratulated the singer on social media. Rihanna officially announced her pregnancy in an Instagram post with the caption “how the gang pulled up to black history month.” Of course, the photo went viral and caused much speculation with her caption with many believing she may be expecting twins. Since then we have been getting fabulous looks from her as well as numerous photos.

On the other end, Rihanna’s pregnancy did stir up some drama in social media – specifically with her baby daddy A$AP Rocky. Like many others, I was shocked to see that he was the father of her child. If you don’t know, A$AP Rocky is a rapper who doesn’t have the best reputation. For the past few years, A$AP has faced much scrutiny for his comments regarding black culture. In 2016, A$AP made offensive comments regarding the Black Lives Matter movement, calling it a bandwagon. He later cleared up these comments in 2020 after the ongoing civil rights movements across the country. A$AP Rocky has also been known for making offensive and colorist comments regarding black women. So, it was hard to see Rihanna, a well-respected celebrity and icon in Black culture, date A$AP. Many fans criticized the singer, and some claimed they have “lost respect” for her after the couple went public.

Outside of this, I occasionally can’t help but think A$AP Rocky and Rihanna’s relationship is super cute. The couple has interacted since 2012 when A$AP joined Rihanna’s Diamonds World Tour. Still, over the years, he has always shown his attraction to the singer. Recently he confirmed this love for her in a GQ interview. Here he referred to Rihanna as the “love of his life.” Rihanna has even shown her support publicly by attending his concerts and posting him on social media. Seeing their relationship grow over this past year has been adorable and interesting. The couple has gained a massive following due to their fan bases and new followers. It is safe to say this power couple isn’t going anywhere anytime soon!

I’m so excited for Rihanna and seeing her enter this new stage in life. I can’t wait to see the new fashion looks and iconic moments. So far, I’m happy that she’s sharing her journey with us. Wishing Rihanna and A$AP Rocky a safe pregnancy and an amazing parenthood!

Madison Davis is a senior, Psychology major, Communications minor from Memphis, TN. She enjoys traveling, cooking, and playing with her dogs, Pyper and Jamocha! She's honored to share her experiences through her writing with the HerCampus community. Feel free to visit her Instagram page @maddyecamille!