This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

The Susan G. Komen foundation had their annual Race for a Cure 5k in Virginia Beach, VA on October 11, 2014. The race took place early Saturday morning at 8:30 am and even though it rained, that didn’t stop the race goers! The morning began with a survivor parade, then open ceremonies, and finally the much anticipated race! The race started on 30th street and Atlantic Ave all the way down to 8th street and onto the pier that leads back to 30th street to the finish line.

If you didn’t want to race you could walk or stand on the sidelines and cheer on participants in the race. There were also vendors surrounding the event area for those a part of the race and those watching on. Everyone had a reason why they were participating and it varied between either they were a survivor, lost a family member, or were walking to support loved ones and friends that beat breast cancer. Juanita Estridge is a 7-year Komen race veteran and when asked how her experience was at the race she said “awesome!”, Ms. Estridge walked for her five cousins who are all breast cancer survivors.

Whatever the reason why people participated, it was clear that love surrounded the entire event. The atmosphere for the whole morning was fun and full of excitement. With each run or walk it was a milestone for someone as well as a personal achievement.

All the money that was raised during the event will go to breast cancer research in hopes of finding a cure. If want to find out more about breast cancer visit: http://ww5.komen.org.

Bianca M. Brown was born and raised in Homewood, IL on August 9th, 1992. She is currently a senior Broadcast Journalism Major with a minor Theatre at Hampton University.