Protective Styles We All Know and Love

This is a sponsored feature. All opinions are 100% from Her Campus.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Just when we thought that summer was around, winter came and hit us like a ton of bricks. It seemed like warm, sunny skies turned into freezing, wind-gusting nights. Just how our seasons changed so quickly, so did our hair. We decided to go from our fresh silk press to some quick crochet braids. Or some of chose to stick with our 22 inch Brazilian body wave. Well whatever we decided to get put in our head, it’s protecting our natural hair.

1.     Crochet Braids

Crochet braids have become the latest protective style to do. Everything can be crocheted in from faux locs, braids, and Havana twist. Personally, I love them! They are easier to install and it takes a shorter amount of time than if my mother were to do them. The styles come in different lengths and colors as well, so express yourself!

2.     Weave/Extensions

This is a style that can be worn year-round, but not with the same install you got in the summer. Of course, don’t forget about your real hair underneath. So, be sure to take the weave out, and wash your real hair. Also, you can use the same hair from the last install for the next one. Although you may have spent $300 on a Malaysian bundle deal.

3.     Box Braids/ Marley Twists

Now these styles are what’s seen mostly in the summer time. Before crochet was popular, we would sit about 8-9 hours. Then we turn around and pay between $80 and $100, depending on the length we wanted the style to be. But this is a style that can be worn year round as well.

4.     Natural Styles

These styles are things such as a perm rod set, flexi rod set, or twist outs and braid outs. With putting these styles in our hair, it’ll bring out the natural curl we have and gives us the chance to try something different. To see what we like as far as styles and even the products we spend so much on.

Whether its braids or crochet braids, weave or faux locs that you are getting installed, remember you’re protecting your real hair. These styles give your hair a break from heat, and all the combing or brushing that happens. They even protect from harsh weather changes that happen, so instead of you getting dry brittle ends in the winter, they should be pretty decent. Find whatever fits you, and be sure to love it because that is going to be in your head for the next two months. 

Socorro Kenoly is a senior, Strategic Communication major in Hampton University's Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Socorro is a proud Hamptonian hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.