The Process, Black&Sexy TV and Hampton Alum David Hunter Jr.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Recently, us girls at Her Campus Hampton U were approached by Hampton Alum and producer David Hunter, Jr. David is a member of the Hottest Class Under the Sun, Quintessence- #QT6 to be exact. While attending Hampton in the early 2000s, David was a Theatre Arts major who practically lived in the Little Theater. David has been living in Los Angeles for 7 years now, wheeling and dealing in the entertainment industry.

Familiar with Black&Sexy TV? If you aren’t, go get familiar! It’s a online platform made up of black independent projects. The site has been streaming since 2011 and long story short- David’s most recent project, The Process, has been picked up by the network. The entire first season is now streaming on Black&Sexy TV. In 2015, 3 of Black&Sexy’s shows were picked up by BET with an additional show currently being developed by HBO and being Executive Produced by Spike Lee.  So you know what that means… The Process could be next. The mini-series is all about chasing your dreams, something that David is no stranger to.  

David and his partner Porcha Evans co-wrote the show. The series centers around a young couple, Nathaniel (David Hunter Jr.) and Danielle Collison (Amaris Davidson) as they try to maintain balance and peace in their relationship despite the uncertainties of Nathaniel’s pursuit of a career as an Actor.  

Check out the first episode below and catch the rest at https://blackandsexy.vhx.tv/the-process 

Let us know what you think using the hashtag #TheProcessHU! With our help, The Process could make it to a nationally syndicated TV show.

But not only is David hoping to raise awareness on the project, he’s reaching out to his fellow Hamptonians. His extensive career has left him with so many experiences to share. I talked to David about a few things. Here’s what he had to say:

HC: So is it true? Does every Hamptonian end up a boss within five years of graduation?
DHJ: I am my own boss [so I guess an] HU grad in five years is a boss. I created the show, I licensed it. I’m in creative control. This is my future, my destiny. It’s in my hands. I don’t want everyone to think it’s easy to just be a boss or that I’ve somehow made it from this one production.  Although I am the creator of The Process and have the final say over various ideas that are proposed, it was still a journey to get to this point and I’m still working hard to make a name for myself so I can have even larger opportunities.  Getting quality exposure and being able to have say-so or power over your own projects is not easy in Hollywood.  There are many people who have early success and then struggle while others are struggling now and may never have success.  It’s really a tough industry and there’s no guarantee of anything..  However, persistence, patience and perspective are what will keep you going no matter what career field you are in.  

HC: What’s one thing you would say Hampton definiely provided you with?
DHJ: A great work ethic. It’s been helpful but be patient because it doesn’t happen overnight- especially not in entertainment. 

HC: What all can we expect from your project, “The Process?”
DHJ: It’s all about sacrifices and chasing your dreams while balancing life. This guy is trying to be an actor while balancing a relationship with someone not too fond of the entertainment industry. The first season went well, now we’re working on season two. Last season we had the screening out in LA and hope to have one for season two in late April. I can’t wait for us to take it to the next level.

HC: Do you have opportunities for people to join “The Process” movement?
DHJ: Of course! We have updates on social media with behind the scenes action for those who want to support by following. Also, there’s a strong Hampton Alumni Association in LA and we want to work with more Hamptonians… People can always get in contact to be a part of the project. Showcase your talent, you might be an MUA, writer, actor, model… We welcome everyone.

HC: How can us Hamptonians get in touch with you?
DHJ:  My email is actordavidhunterjr@gmail.com. They could also follow me on social media. 

Twitter: @DavidHunterJr
Instagram: @DavidHunterJr

You read that right Hamptonians! Get in contact with David and you might just end up with a job! Dont forget to support The Process on Black&Sexy TV
Socorro Kenoly is a senior, Strategic Communication major in Hampton University's Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Socorro is a proud Hamptonian hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.