Career > Her20s

Post-Grad Diaries: Victoria Daniels on Grad School, Comparison & Enjoying your 20s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

* Welcome to Post-Grad Diaries: a new series diving into life after college from those who know it best. College grads. I’ll be interviewing various college graduates from all different backgrounds on all things post-grad from post-grad depression to job hunting & more. This is for any current students or recent graduates looking to gain more insight on the reality of the transition to adulthood.*

VICTORIA DANIELS

Alma Mater: Hampton University

Grad Year: 2019

Occupation: Social Media Editor at The Daily Beast

Industry: Media

Location: Hyattsville, Maryland

Salary: $65,000 a year

After college, did you end up in the career path that you studied in school? If not, what led you to the career you are in now?

VD: Yes and no. Before I even got to Hampton, I knew I wanted to major in Journalism. Specifically, broadcast. I got to sophomore year and was like ‘I don’t want to do TV at all. I want to write.’ Fast forward, I graduated and didn’t get a job right out of school so I didn’t know what to do. I ended up deciding to go to grad school to try to figure it out a little bit more. For some of the projects I was working on in my program, I realized that I really liked social media and audience engagement. So that’s when I decided on social media.

I didn’t figure it out until two years after I graduated. That wasn’t what I was expected, but that’s how it happened. I’m so thankful that I figured it out in grad school because I love to write but I like the social media aspect of journalism so much better.

While in college, was grad school ever a thought on your mind? 

VD: My friends will tell you that I was so against going back to school. I was like yeah, I’m not doing that. I’m gonna have a job and boom. But January of my senior year came around and I didn’t have a job yet, so I was kind of panicking. I remember my professor, Professor Waltz, pulled me into her office and was like this is from UMD and I want you to apply for it. It’s a fellowship for investigative journalism, and they pay a good portion of your degree. So I applied. I got accepted and once I graduated, I was like this where I’m going and what I’m doing.

I never thought it would get to that. I was just dead set on graduating and going straight into my career, but in hindsight, I’m glad I took that time because it turned out what I wanted to do is not what I really wanted. So I’m thankful for that path that I took.

What advice would you give to college students considering if grad school is for them or not?

VD: It’s definitely a decision you should not let anyone influence you to do. Grad school was a whole different ballgame and is also very expensive. I would say if you graduate undergrad and you are interested in multiple things or still not confident enough in your skills and what you can do, go to grad school. Take that time to explore and figure it out. Sometimes our undergrad programs can provide a lot and then also not exactly what we are looking for. So, if you’re interested in another part of your career trajectory or your program that your school may not offer, sometimes it is best to go to another school and get that under your belt.

Switching gears a little. After undergrad, did you ever experience post-grad depression? If so, what was that experience like?

VD: Yeah, I definitely experienced it. For me, it wasn’t until I moved to Maryland and started my program. I’m not good with change and transitional periods, so it was a lot. I was a little depressed, but what helped me was honestly my friends and family constantly encouraging me. Also, staying grounded through prayer and remembering that I was placed here for a reason and that this is what I’m doing to get myself to the next step or place I want to be in life. So while it may be tough right now, it’s all gonna end up paying off. Not having a job after graduation and living back at home was a rough time for me, especially seeing everyone else out there doing it.

You mentioned comparison a little bit. How did you deal with comparing yourself to your peers and friends?

VD: We always say don’t compare yourself to others, but it is very hard and you find yourself doing it subconsciously, by simply scrolling on Instagram. I had to step away from social media for a moment and take little breaks. It can be very tough, but it was never jealousy. I’m very happy for all the people in my life who are doing it, and at a point, it switched like that’s gonna be me one day. Like one day, it’s gonna be time to shine. So you know, I’m happy and applauding these people, but I just gotta stay down a little longer. It was really just a mindset thing.

Just because you see someone on social media doing this and that, you don’t know what it took to get there or what’s going on behind the scenes. They might have the job and hate it. So just be grateful for the life you have. All of our journeys are different. God’s timing is hilarious.

Moving on to money, how did you end up managing money after college and what advice do you have for others?

VD: Budgeting helps. Even if it is just a little bit. If you start putting away a little money from paychecks, it will pay off in the long run. But I will say, do not compromise enjoying and living in your 20s because you’re so worried about student loans. Still go to those concerts, still, go out to eat, still, take those trips. When you can, put the money aside but do not put yourself in such a strict budgeting mindset that you’re not enjoying your 20s, because you’re supposed to also have fun.

Any advice on negotiating and accepting a salary at your first job?

VD: Yes. Look up the role you want to have, and look at the average salary for that at different companies and firms. Look at it all across the industry and try to fill out a baseline. Make sure you are factoring in on some of your skills. Ex: internships, grad school, etc. They look at that and might give you more money. If you have to move somewhere, factor that in too. So crunch some numbers in your head and ask yourself if, after taxes, rent, loans, etc. am I going to have any money left? Once you get the job, keep a running tab of things you’re doing, so when you decide you would like a raise, you can go back to that list and show what you’ve done during your time there. It can be very awkward, but it’s always out there. You just have to open up your mouth and ask.

Last question. What is the most valuable lesson college taught you that has stuck with you after graduation?

VD: I have two. The first one is to network across from you. I first heard that from a capstone presentation one of my classmates, Nia Wellman, gave. That always stuck with me and I think as Hamptonians, we do an excellent job of that. The Hampton network is crazy. That taught me to network, not burn bridges with people, and utilize those resources. Someone may be working somewhere or in a career that might be able to provide you with some insight into a company or role. I think Hamptonians, especially Scrippas, have done a great job of sticking together and helping each other out. I think about when the next batch of journalism and media people phase-out of Hampton, it’s going to be so grateful across the school to be like, ‘oh, I went to school with them.’ That makes me happy and something I look forward to.

Hampton also taught me that you can not finesse everything. In undergrad, it’s easy to find the shortcut and short way out of stuff, but the real world is not like that. It catches up to you. So I would say be mindful about that.

Follow Victoria on Instagram @inthewordsofvic

Raven Harper

Hampton U '22

Raven Harper @raejhene is a Graduating Senior at Hampton University studying Journalism and Marketing. She serves as the campus correspondent over Hampton's chapter. In her spare time, she enjoys cooking new things, iced coffee and endless scrolling on pinterest.