This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Hey readers! This week, I bring to you popular Spring Break destinations! It’s that perfect moment in the semester where you just need something to distract from all the work and just relax your body. Although it’s only a week, traveling with your friends- or even alone- is enough to make it worth while. Here are some destinations that will make that week off unforgettable. 

1. Cancun, Mexico

Cancun, Mexico can be found on the Carribean Sea, in the Yucatan Peninsula. This is the place to be if you’re looking for a fun time. During the day students on break can experience the hot beaches with the crystal clear waters. Activities such as jet skiing and parasailing. For the night scene, you can hit up the infamous nightclubs, or hop aboard on a ‘Booze Cruise.’ 

2. South Padre Island, Texas

Head on over to South Padre Island, Texas and get ready for that Texan heat! Starting from Spring Break time and well into the summer, you can find thousands of young people having the time of their lives on this “little” barrier island. Various water-sport activities are available, such as: dolphin watching, watercraft, or even choosing to go horseback riding on the beach. The best part about this trip is how inexpensive it is! So if you’re balling on a budget, this is the right place for you and your friends. 

3. Miami, Florida

This typical Spring Break spot originates all the way back to the 1920s! Every year in the news you can see coverage of all the spring breakers at the beach. When the Coronavirus was just becoming a serious issue and students were sent home, you still saw thousands upon thousands of students in this particular area getting their tan on. No virus can stop what these students have going. 

4. New Orleans, Louisiana

New Orleans is known for its amazing food (like Jambalaya) and its festivals. It is no surprise people would want to come here during their break to wind down and have some fun. If you’re lucky enough, spring break will fall right around the time of Mardi Gras, which is arguably the best time of year in New Orleans. Enjoy the nightlife on Bourbon Street and French Quarter with live music and the bar scene. The Creole food and French pastries are to die for. Also, if you are in the mood for a little history, visiting antique shops and going on tours just might be the thing for you. 

5. Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

If you love resorts and all they have to offer, this is the place for you. Think of the endless amount of drinks and food you can consume while on spring break here. I can almost smell the fresh air now. The best time to visit Punta Cana is from March to May, which is perfect before hurricane season comes around. It’s popular for zip-lining, windsurfing, kayaking and sailing for all you thrill-seekers out there. 

6. Las Vegas, Nevada

You know how the saying goes, “what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.” Just watch, The Hangover if you ever need a reference. No, now isn’t the time to secretly get married to some guy you’ve been hooking up with for several months. It is a time of getting drunk (if you’re of age of course) and having a good time. Besides the strip clubs and casinos, visit the Stratosphere, the wax museum, the Aria Hotel, New York and a Gondola ride in the Venetian. Also look into magic shows and various performances they may be having that week, you might be surprised. 

And there you have it readers, amazing places you can visit while on Spring Break. College is a time for making tons of memories with the people you love.

Briana Previlon is a junior at Hampton University where she is pursuing a major in Political Science on the Pre-Law track. When she is not writing, you can find her listening to music, watching Harry Potter, or hanging out with her friends.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.