Plus Size Black Women Who Have Impacted Various Industries

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Uhg! Where do I even start? For ages plus size black women have been locked in a cage with the key thrown to society. That is until a few icons came and wiped the floor with these stereotypical standards. Before some of these legends came along, bigger women weren’t even taken seriously in the modeling, fashion, or music industry. I have came up with a list of the most impactful plus size black women of our time.

1. Lizzo 

Personally, I’ve been following Lizzo since she released “Good as Hell” in 2016, but the world took notice of this queen at the BET awards where she infamously twerked and played the flute simultaneously to her song “Truth Hurts”. Since Queen Lizzo’s debut, more plus size women have found love in themselves. She’s one of the few plus size performers out there and she is so confident with her body.  Beyoncé isn’t the only one who wears leotards in this era! Lizzo has impacted the way big girls perform. She is seen in colorful Leotards and curly wild hair at her concerts. She isn’t just singing a soulful tune in a long turtleneck dress like Jenifer Hudson in Dream Girls. Sis is straight up twerking while rapping and singing about breakups and loving yourself. Lizzo has definitely defied the odds of what a plus size performer looks and acts like!

1. Gabi Fresh

Ever seen a big girl at the beach? Before the last recent years, big women at the beach or pool was extremely problematic. Swimsuits would be very conservative and black due to retailers only making cute swimwear for straight sizes. This is where Gabi Fresh came into play. Style blogger and body-positivity advocate Gabi Gregg (aka GabiFresh) truly revolutionized the swimwear industry. Gabi designed an all size-inclusive retailer swimsuit line called “Power Play” starting at size 10-26. No more T-shirts over swimsuits, Mrs. Fresh designs bikinis that cover your rolls but reveals your beauty. She even has a lingerie site called “Playful Promises”. Victoria Secret Who????

1. Jordyn Woods

“Isn’t that Kylie Jenner’s ex Bestfriend?” Wrong Jordyn Woods is more than just someone’s best friend! Woods is actually a little mogul impacting the fashion industry with her diverse clothing line including all sizes. Jordyn’s plus size activewear line named “Secndnture” is all about giving people variety. “You can wear these pieces to the gym, the club, or wherever else your heart desires,” she quotes on her Instagram. No more hoodies and basketball shorts to the gym. Plus size women now can choose comfortable sports bras and legging sets to exercise in. Jordyn Woods created something for everybody, no matter their size. 

1. Tabria Majors

Have you ever been online shopping for new clothes and when you click your size the picture of the item has a girl that looks nothing like you? With 1M followers on Instagram one may ask what’s so special about Tabria Majors? Take a closer look. That’s the plus size model you see when you purchase your items. After a talent agency saw her potential, Tabria became a finalist for the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue. A plus size black woman on Sports Illustrated? What a legend. Her early years as a model were filled with struggles and she had to support herself by working as a maid. Majors has emerged as one of the most successful plus-size models today. Working for brands like Calvin Klein, Victoria’s Secret and Fashion Nova; Tabria is big in representation. One of the few plus sizes on the internet that actually look like a 200 pound woman. She’s the reason when you order that dress you know exactly what it’s going to look like. Especially sites like fashion nova that has some of the trendiest clothes, when you see 2X or 3X, Tabria shows a realistic version of the piece. Plus size catalog models matter too!

In conclusion … DON’T SLEEP ON THE PLUS SIZE COMMUNITY! 

Blogger, Influencer, fashionista, and writer from Atlanta, Georgia! Hampton university 2023! First Year Journalism student Subscribe to my Youtube Channel : youtube.com/c/MyeshiaFlawless
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!