Play that New Jacquees

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

He was born as Rodriquez Broadnax in Decatur, Georgia. You may have heard a few of his covers or even some of his songs from one of his five mixtapes (Quemix 2, Fan Affiliated) or two EPs (19). One of the new faces of Cash Money Records, is a heart throb for the ladies and is making himself known in the music industry. This young man may be better known by his stage name, Jacquees.

The catchy “Jacquees say!” is always heard on his songs. There’s no doubt you won’t know it’s him. Whether he is talking about how perfect a girl is no matter what, he wants you to come through. Jacquees is AMAZING and a triple threat as a songwriter, singer, and dancer. He has worked with artists such as Chris Brown, Travis Porter, August Alsina and T.I.

Recently, Jacquees released a 16-track new mixtape called “Mood,” at the end of January. This mixtape completely warmed us up during the cold winter nights. This showed his ability to make the ladies melt and get the fellas head bobbing to some good R&B music. With guest appearances from Dej Loaf, Rich Homie Quan, and others; he made our ears perk up and if already didn’t know who he was, we wanted to know of this young man.  

On behalf of all women everywhere, Jacquees is just fine! He has the voice, body, and the drop dead smile. He’s this generation’s sex symbol in a way, but he’s too tempting to touch. Mood is the mixtape that just makes us wish we stayed in the house all day listening to Pandora but with Jacquees. From New Wave, Set It Off, and B.E.D., these songs can be played every day of the week. No special occasions are needed, just turn Jacquees on and it is over.

Hopefully, you and your squad know all of the words to each song by now. If not, start playing Mood everyday. All of his songs are catchy, you will fall in love with his voice, and he will surely get you in the mood. P.S., according to XXL magazine, Jacquees is slowly but surely working on an actual album. Although we’re not sure exactly when the album will be released, just know Jacquees is steady working. 

Socorro Kenoly is a senior, Strategic Communication major in Hampton University's Scripps Howard School of Journalism and Communications. Socorro is a proud Hamptonian hailing from Atlanta, Georgia.