This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

One of the greatest outlets that people have to express emotion is music. Over 400 years of gurling struggle and a continuous fight for freedom leaves much to be expressed by black people. Many empowering black films have been created in recent years with soundtracks that help to encapsulate the people and the movement. Films including,  “Selma”, “The Hate U Give”, “Marshall”, and more. Black artists such as Lauryn Hill and Kendrick Lamar have also created songs after events of police brutality and violence against black people. Music has a way of soothing the soul and speaking to us in ways that words cannot. Here are 12 songs of black empowerment that might to speak to you. 

1. BlackGirlMagic- Mayyadda

2. A Change Is Gonna Come- Sam Cooke

3. Glory (From the Motion Picture Selma)- John Legend, Common

4. Stand up for Something (From the Motion Picture Marshall)- Andra Day feat. Common

5. We Won’t Move (From the Motion Picture The Hate U Give)- Arlissa 

6. Say It Loud – I’m Black and I’m Proud-  James Brown 

7. Brown Skin Girl- Beyoncé, Blue Ivy, SAINt JHN, WizKid

8. Stand Up (From the Motion Picture Harriet)- Cynthia Erivo 

9. Freedom- Beyoncé

10. Black Rage- Lauryn Hill 

11. Alright- Kendtick Lamar

12. Black Girl Magic- Empire Cast feat. Sierra McClain

Taryn-Marie Jenkins is a sophomore Journalism major with a concentration in Cinema Studies and a minor in Leadership Studies from Wilmington, Delaware. Taryn-Marie aspires to become a producer, documentarian, and filmmaker. On campus, she is a part of the yearbook club, Peer Health Educators, SRT, and the Onyx Executive Council. Taryn-Marie loves meeting new people and serving her community to the best of her ability.
I have the privilege to serve as Campus Correspondent for the Her Campus Hampton U Chapter a second year! I am a graduating Senior, Strategic Communications major, Marketing minor currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. I am from Richmond, VA (shoutout to the 804!). In addition to classes, I run my own creative agency, Tiana Nichelle Marketing where I specialize in social media management, content creation, public relations, and branding. My love for the PR and Communications industry is the reason my ultimate goal is to become a celebrity publicist in the upcoming years! Her Campus Hampton U is an organization that is near and dear to me and I am so happy to be a leader of this ELITE chapter!