This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

As coronavirus mutations are spreading rapidly across the country, now might not be the best time to plan a spring break vacation.

For about a year, the world has been faced with a difficult situation. It’s been a taxing year, especially for college students. Stress built up from school, career decisions, a toxic political climate, it makes sense that people want to have a relaxing vacation away from home. However, I urge you to reconsider traveling for Spring Break. 

According to the Centers for Disease Control, there have been over 27 million cases of COVID-19, including 489,067 deaths. Additionally, variants of the original strand have been found in almost all 50 states. As the vaccine is administered to front-line workers and the elderly first, it might be a while until the majority of the population gets fully vaccinated. Until that day arrives there are simple things that everyone can do that will slow down the spread of this deadly disease: wear a mask, wash your hands, social distance, and do not travel unless it’s absolutely necessary. 

Spring Break 2020 was filled with wild parties and packed pools. People all over the country packed popular tourist sites like Florida, Mexico, and California. Some people did not heave the warning about the seriousness of the pandemic, spring break travel resulted in a superspreader event. If people continue these trends of large gatherings and mass travel the pandemic will continue taking the lives of loved ones.

By now we have all seen videos of large gatherings all over the country. It’s ridiculous that with a year into the pandemic people are still willing to put others at risk. Traveling not only affects the people who you are traveling with, but locals, staff members, and essential workers. We must hold each other accountable. Although there are now tougher restrictions, it does not ensure the safety of all guests.

If you are planning to travel, please remember to bring hand sanitizer and always wear a mask over your nose and mouth. Also, be aware of your surroundings and social distance. People can make the most of their spring break with a staycation or find activities to do that are outdoors.

Traveling is not worth risking the lives of family, friends, and community members. If we all do our part, maybe we can return to normal life soon. Instead of trying to adapt to life with COVID-19, let’s work together to end it. For more information about preventing the spread of the coronavirus visit the CDC website.

Ryanne Howard

Hampton U '23

Ryanne Howard is a junior at Hampton University. She is a Strategic Communications major with a minor in Leadership Studies from Raleigh, North Carolina. At Hampton University she is a member of the William R. Harvey Leadership Institute as well as the Student Recruitment Team. Ryanne aspires to be a Public Relations Manager for a major company in the golfing industry.
Kiara Davis

Hampton U '21

Hello! My name is Kiara Davis, I am a junior strategic communications (PR) major, marketing minor from the land of 10,000 lakes, Saint Paul, Minnesota. I really love writing and have since I was young. I also really enjoy the performing arts which include dancing, singing, and musical theatre. Ever since I was young I have been apart of dance and musical programs. As for my goals in life, I would like to see myself working for an advertising agency, and eventually achieving my biggest career goal of becoming a business owner. My passion includes contributing to the change of the stereotypical view of African-American women in society. Black women are amazing in every aspect and I would like to help the entire world recognize that.