jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ok very funny but….WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Hampton U chapter.

Not sure if my 2019 went great or completely horrible. I lost track somewhere between the months of May to October. Regardless of whether my year went amazing or horrific, I’m still alive and have things to work on. Based on how much 2019 taught me, I thought I should share it with whoever is reading this. So, here we go, these are the top three things 2019 has taught me…

1.  LEAVE THE DRAMA FOR THEIR MAMA (not my mama she don’t got time for that).

In 2019 I learned to let people argue with themselves! This year was not the most problematic year that I have experienced however after maturing and realizing that the block list was created to be used I now see how bickering with people is not worth the stress. My block list is very welcoming to those individuals who bring anything but positive energy into my circle. Deja´s Daily Dose is my motivational blog on Instagram and with me promoting positivity and advice for individuals it would be wrong for me to not take my own advice. So in 2020 and all the years to follow the drama will be left for their mama, not mine because she does not want to hear all of that.

2. If they show you red flags show them white … Surrender and RUN!

The relationship I left in 2019 is to never be spoken of again. I learned my lesson so the comments of ¨Every relationship should teach you a lesson¨ well that one gave me a full degree. One of the notes I took from the Liars Lie 101 course was ¨if they show you red flags show them white… surrender and run¨! 2019 taught me to never be so in love with someone you forget to like your own peace. This not only applies to the romantic relationships that I lost in the previous year but the friendship ones as well. As soon as individuals start acting funny and showing their true colors that you do not agree with ABORT MISSION! 

3. YOU GOT TOO MUCH WORK TO DO TO BE BORED!

2019 set the foundation of my goals and the direction I want to go in the next years to truly elevate my career and 2020 is where my work and grind really begins. I learned that I have too many goals to accomplish to have ¨free time.” With social media being my self-marketing platform, every time I pick up my phone I’m working, whether it is networking with other college influencers/bloggers, writing articles, posting blog content, or more I have too much work to do to sit bored. 

Overall 2020 is my year and I am claiming it, I’m not sure what the heck 2019 was but it definitely made me so strong and motivated to stunt and focus on everything that is mine. 

Deja Dodson

Hampton U '23

Member of Her Campus Hampton U Chapter. I am a freshman Psychology major currently studying at the illustrious Hampton University. Subscribe to my youtube channel: Deja D, and check out my personal self love and motivational blog on Instagram: @Dejadailydose.
Jordyn Edwards is a graduating senior at the illustrious Hampton University studying strategic communications with an emphasis in liberal studies. Jordyn creates for others while being deeply motivated for her passion of storytelling and helping women find their voices.